351C 4V with C6!??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-strandet

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Covertible with 351C 2V
Hello,

I have a 351C 2V and a C6 in my 71' Convertible.

I would now like to replace the 2V with a 4V.

But I have heard that if I want to take the original manifold, that does not work with the C6 gearbox!??

Is that correct? Or do I just need another hosepipe?

Greetings

Christian 

2 Bbl and 4 Bbl factory exhaust manifolds both fit C6 transmissions without any issues. But you won't be able to use 2 Bbl exhaust manifolds with 4 Bbl heads - the exhaust ports won't match up.

The 4V-Engine I've brought is with Original 4bbl-Manifolds. (See Picutre above)

Somebody told me that I would need a C4 because the 4bbl-Manifold doesn't fits properly with the C6!?

My old man experience throughout the years has seen:

302 V8 and 6 Cyl got the C-4 Automatic.

351C -2V got the FMX tranny

351C-4v got the C6

Of course you could order your manual transmissions, But that seems to be the standard for our 71-73.

If I remember right, the 70 351 C got the C6 and the 351 Windsor got the FMX.

So if someone actually has an original C4 in the car I would bet it is an original 302 or 6 cyl car.

kcmash

I have a 71 fastback mach-1 M code   351C-4V  C6 collecting dust in my garage soooo yes the 4V  exhaust manifolds will work w/ the C6.

C-6 is by far the best selection.....if you want to improve low gear ratio.....find a low gear set from 4x4 pickup,C6,sun shell little bigger but easy fix, several youtube videos on the subject. I did one for a build and then added a Gear Vendors Overdrive,nice.

C-6 is by far the best selection.....if you want to improve low gear ratio.....find a low gear set from 4x4 pickup,C6,sun shell little bigger but easy fix, several youtube videos on the subject.  I did one for a build and then added a Gear Vendors Overdrive,nice.
C6 is good but large and heavy. A well built c4 will take anything you can throw at it and is much lighter. 

Been beating on my c4 for years with some good horsepower and it’s still going.

Back