exhaust shield and the heat riser hose on a Q code

Exhaust shield and the heat riser hose. Anyone have a photo that show how it looks on a 351 4V. I want to see how it looked from the factory before I put mine on.

John J

Hard to get a good pic of the heat shield installed. Its a two piece unit for both 2v and 4v. The pictures are from a 73 2v. This may help...

73_Mustang_351_C_heat_shield_3.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

100_2216.jpg

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

410_F8_BF4_747_D_4_B42_BE45_5_D8_C4_CD3_C262.jpg

html picture upload

This is from my 73 Q code. It is a little different than the 2V model due to manifold size

859_B9443_F56_B_4_A0_C_97_E3_90_CE1002_C30_B.jpg

Steve

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code C6 Auto

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code 4 Speed

Exhaust shield and the heat riser hose. Anyone have a photo that show how it looks on a 351 4V. I want to see how it looked from the factory before I put mine on.

John J

What year? I can take a pic of my 71 4V that is factory original. Let me know.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

As there was no reply, here is the heat shield on my original 71 351 C 4V Mach 1. The flex tube shown is a factory original, used on both Ford and Chrysler. I wish I'd grabbed a box full back in the day, just have 1 left!.

• Like 1

Geoff.

As there was no reply, here is the heat shield on my original 71 351 C 4V Mach 1. The flex tube shown is a factory original, used on both Ford and Chrysler. I wish I'd grabbed a box full back in the day, just have 1 left!.

Thanks for the photos.

John J

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a little old, but does anyone know what bolt is used for the smaller 351 4V heat shield?  

I have the shorter/smaller one that StangLover has in the second pic in his post above.  It has a smaller bolt that goes into the manifold itself and not from a stud on the block.

I tried every bolt in my parts boxes and went to two stores.  I couldn't find anything that was just right.

Any help is welcomed!

I know this thread is a little old, but does anyone know what bolt is used for the smaller 351 4V heat shield?  

I have the shorter/smaller one that StangLover has in the second pic in his post above.  It has a smaller bolt that goes into the manifold itself and not from a stud on the block.

I tried every bolt in my parts boxes and went to two stores.  I couldn't find anything that was just right.

Any help is welcomed!

Let me go take a look. (I'm in my underwear right now!! lol, well, don't we all look at the site this way in the am??) 

I'm pretty sure its a 5/16 nc , but give me an hour to confirm

Geoff

Ok, here is a pic or two of the heat shield off. The bolt at the TOP only is 1/4" nc x 1/2" long. If this won't fit, then I guess someone has rethreaded it at some point.

Geoff.

Thanks very very much!

You're welcome. Hope you get it on ok. Like I said, it is always possible that some ham-hand has rethreaded it with whatever was at hand, could even be metric! Who knows.

TIP if you can't get that 1/4 nc in, use a 1/4" nc tap and chase the threads. Could just be rust stopping the bolt going in.

Geoff.

EDIT NOTE: 1/4" nc = 1/4 - 20 thread. AND use a spring lock washer!!

Geoff.

Just a note. There are NO metric threads on 71-73 that did not start until much later.

David

Yes David I know. Point being some people just use whatever they get their grubby little hands on and don't care. MY point was that someone could  have used an 8mm to FIX an F'd up thread, just because that is what they had. Believe me I've seen worse.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Perfect fit!  Thanks again!

Awesome, glad it worked out for you. It's funny (weird) how a stupid little thing like that can mess us up big time, been-there-done that!

Geoff.

Just a note. There are NO metric threads on 71-73 that did not start until much later.

David

Yes David I know. Point being some people just use whatever they get their grubby little hands on and don't care. MY point was that someone could  have used an 8mm to FIX an F'd up thread, just because that is what they had. Believe me I've seen worse.

Geoff.

Geoff, here in the States we have made great progress in transiting to the Metric system. In the early 70's while our Government was busy making many laws so as to protect us from ourselves, they also decided it would also be a good time to join the rest of the world using metric measurements. So....48 years later we now have two litre Cokes in the grocery store!!    :whistling:

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

David

Geoff.

Geoff, here in the States we have made great progress in transiting to the Metric system. In the early 70's while our Government was busy making many laws so as to protect us from ourselves, they also decided it would also be a good time to join the rest of the world using metric measurements. So....48 years later we now have two litre Cokes in the grocery store!!    :whistling:

That's funny, what progress!!

Actually when I was working building automotive air induction prototypes, just about everything I got from Chrysler, Ford or GM was in metric, but occasionally they would throw a curve-ball in there, just to see if I was awake I guess. At least all the drawings, cad or otherwise were in third angle orthographic projection. Stuff I got from Europe, Germany especially, was in FIRST angle. That's when I needed to be awake!!

Geoff.