429 for sale - opinions?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has definitely been tampered with.

First off, it looks like a nice car and I would love to have it.  Looks like a nice job on the body and paint.  And I love Magnums and dual exhaust.

What looks wrong?

1) the rear seat is installed incorrectly

2) The front buckets are not the Mach 1 comfortweave like they should be.  Those are convertible upholstry covered front buckets.  They don't match the rear comfortweave and are incorrect.

3) The rear wing is on backwards and may be positioned too far forward.  Of course over time I have learned that an incorrectly installed rear spoiler was a dealer option.  ;-)

4) For a non-ram air car, the hood should be solid white, not have the blackout treatment.

5) According to this forum, and apparently accurate, if it has the bright rocker trim it should not have the body side stripes.

So, as I said, I love the car because it looks really cool.  I suspect that it came out with no side stripes and a solid color hood with no rear spoiler, possibly even dog dish wheel covers.  But one of the previous owners wanted the cool factor to impress people like me and added the spoiler and a flashy new black and white striped Mach 1 trademark!

Probably a fair price if the undercarriage is rust free.  With the correct power train, the interior detailing will be an easy task.

kcmash

It is currently listed on e-hay at $27,500 (with reserve). this car has been for sale for a while now on that site. Yes, if the car came with the lower decor trim option, the hockey stripe is incorrect for this car, You can see that it has been added after the fact, as the front fender stripe at the marker light is incorrect... One that you need to see in person before purchasing...

Ive thought about going over there and test driving it, if they would let me. its only about 20 mins away from here. Ive been eyeballing this one for a while now.

At a classic car dealer that is a very fair price, which leads me to wonder what are we possibly not seeing? I think the market is softening a bit, although I believe Hagerty #2 for this car is $65K and #1 (Concours) is $80K (-5% for auto). This car is probably somewhere between #2 and #3, a very nice driver quality. A '71 with a factory 429 and a nice overall appearance, and I'm expecting to see $49K at a classic car dealer. Yes over the years everyone had to have the Mach 1 calling cards- hood blackout, Magnum 500's, front and rear spoilers, side stripes, etc. Stock C6 auto has what, a 50 hp penalty, but with all that 429 torque it wouldn't be noticed very much. I know when I drive my '71 429CJ-R 4 speed I can't wipe the grin off of my face (thanks Mike B!). As long as there are no major hidden rust issues, which is where the big repair bucks come in, I don't see a whole lot that needs to be taken care of. Interesting that it has the little extra vacuum door on the side of the C-code air cleaner that lets in more air. You don't see those on the non-ram air air cleaner assembly very often. It's also a wonder someone didn't covert the car to ram air. Ice cold AC in the description is a welcome change from the usual "AC just needs recharge" (ahem). These don't come up for sale very often in good driver quality. They are normally a basket case project car or a high dollar Concours show car. Take a test drive, and if it is running well it is one drive you won't likely forget. heh

At a classic car dealer that is a very fair price, which leads me to wonder what are we possibly not seeing?  I think the market is softening a bit, although I believe Hagerty #2 for this car is $65K and #1 (Concours) is $80K (-5% for auto).  This car is probably somewhere between #2 and #3, a very nice driver quality.  A '71 with a factory 429 and a nice overall appearance, and I'm expecting to see $49K at a classic car dealer.  Yes over the years everyone had to have the Mach 1 calling cards- hood blackout, Magnum 500's, front and rear spoilers, side stripes, etc.  Stock C6 auto has what, a 50 hp penalty, but with all that 429 torque it wouldn't be noticed very much.  I know when I drive my '71 429CJ-R 4 speed I can't wipe the grin off of my face (thanks Mike B!).  As long as there are no major hidden rust issues, which is where the big repair bucks come in, I don't see a whole lot that needs to be taken care of.  Interesting that it has the little extra vacuum door on the side of the C-code air cleaner that lets in more air.  You don't see those on the non-ram air air cleaner assembly very often.  It's also a wonder someone didn't covert the car to ram air.  Ice cold AC in the description is a welcome change from the usual "AC just needs recharge" (ahem).  These don't come up for sale very often in good driver quality.  They are normally a basket case project car or a high dollar Concours show car.  Take a test drive, and if it is running well it is one drive you won't likely forget.  heh
"Stock C6 auto has what, a 50 hp penalty," not aware of this fact... there is some loss for sure but 50hp is a stretch.

"Stock C6 auto has what, a 50 hp penalty," not aware of this fact... there is some loss for sure but 50hp is a stretch.
I was thinking back to an old Hot Rod Magazine test of the automatic transmissions provided by the Big Three automakers, and a 50 hp parasitic loss for the C6 stuck in my mind.  Turns out if you look around you'll even see 55 hp and 60 hp parasitic loss mentioned for a stock C6.  It's up there with the GM TH400.  The C6 is a big, heavy, somewhat inefficient transmission, but it was used behind big blocks and high output 351C engines because it could survive on the street behind the grunt provided by those engines.  People can build up a C6 with a shift kit, roller bearings, etc. but it seems that a built up C4 (smaller, lighter) is the auto trans of preference for people putting together their own performance drivetrain.  I recall looking at a '70 Torino Cobra 429 C6 car a few years back which was an absolute beast.  I kind of like the idea of cruising around with a 429, automatic, and AC (thumbs up).  Mine doesn't even have power steering, which is only an issue backing out of the driveway and when getting gas (always use the end pump!), but curiously it has power windows which were first offered in '71.  Mine was originally sold in Sault Ste. Marie, ON by the way, which may explain the lack of AC on the original order.  Anyway, I hope someone on the site takes a look at this car and then purchases it if everything checks out.  The factory big block cars don't seem to come up for sale very often at this price point.

Back