ADVICE ON 71 MACH 1 DASH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have just acquired a 1971 Mach 1 and setting out on a restomod to make this vehicle something different and special.
This forum is my choice as 71-73 models are not popular in Australia and information is difficult to find.
My VIN: 1F05M218422
It will be along the lines of one in Japan.
(http://www.speedhunters.com/author/2281434115/)
Hi Guys,

I am a new Member from Australia and currently rebuilding this vehicle and I need advice on which way to go

with a new instrument cluster in the dash.

Which is the best way to go in respect to the speedo & tacho - go the Dakota route with their

digital product or go with the Rocketman replacements.

it is a bit difficult to send him my old cluster from downunder for repair - is there such a beast that someone may

have for sale?

I have the original speedo & clock set up but would like to replace the clock with the tacho.

It will be a restomod and it is Right Hand Drive - the wiring is all over the place but I might

have to live with it as a new harness in Left Hand Drive may not work.

I am not super technical and will get someone to check the wiring.

There are enough problems in the dash set up in trying to adapt the cluster to make it look

factory fitted - glove box as well.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks to Dennis Keagan who assisted me with the wiper arms.

Regards,

MELFUNCTIONS :chin:

Where in Oz are you? Can you explain why you need new instruments? What's wrong with what you have?

I personally don't like the digital stuff out there but there are some good electronic options but unfortunately not a lot that reads in KPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in Oz are you? Can you  explain why you need new instruments? What's wrong with what you have?

I personally don't like the digital stuff out there but there are some good electronic options but unfortunately not a lot that reads in KPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply.

I am in Melbourne and the only other Member I have spoken with is Greg (Austinvert) in Brisbane.

The car I have is a 71 Mach 1 which has had the RH Conversion done, it is a driver but missing a

front windscreen which I have on the way.

The interior is gutted and I am trying to get all the pieces of the jigsaw together - the instrument

cluster is in a box,the circuit board and lens are stuffed.

I have new besels on the way and I am trying to work out the dash arrangements - I may as well go

with a tacho beside the speedo - although the speedo (vintage is mph) I am fitting a Polaris Head Up Display

which I have in my M3. (saved me heaps on fines)

It will not be traditional as I want a great looking vehicle but one that is very comfortable to drive -

I have BMW E46 M3 seats all round - the rear will fit beautifully and the fold down will work perfectly.

The centre console will probably be out of an X5 using the X5 handbrake set up.

As you know, making the RH side of the gauge besels is not easy, I need to find some more examples

of RH Conversions to see what has been done - thought I might see one at MotorClassica but no luck.

I certainly would appreciate any information or advice you can provide.

Regards,

Mel McLennan (0419 044550) [email protected].

I really like these Dakota VHX gauges. They look pretty damn sharp and fit in with the original look.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dakota-digital-gauge-assembly-vhx-with-black-alloy-style-face-1971-1973/p/VHX71K-V/

You will have to install them into your gauge cluster housing, but I dont think it will be that difficult.

Alternatively, these look pretty good too.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/new-vintage-usa-gauge-kit-performance-series-electronic-speedometer-1971-1973/p/IBK714-V/

Both of these sets will require electronic speed sensor sending units.

With a restomod you will really like these gauges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like these Dakota VHX gauges.  They look pretty damn sharp and fit in with the original look.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dakota-digital-gauge-assembly-vhx-with-black-alloy-style-face-1971-1973/p/VHX71K-V/

You will have to install them into your gauge cluster housing, but I dont think it will be that difficult.

Alternatively, these look pretty good too.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/new-vintage-usa-gauge-kit-performance-series-electronic-speedometer-1971-1973/p/IBK714-V/

Both of these sets will require electronic speed sensor sending units.

With a restomod you will really like these gauges.
Melfunctions,

Got Dakota digital for my old shovelhead Harley, real quality stuff there.

Just wish my mustang had the zero to 60 time as the shovelhead (3.9 sec)

motorcycle dash  also has a self learning gearshift display.

boilermaster

Here's another suggestion that I didn't see posted. If you only need to replace that dumb clock with a tach, contact Bob at Rocketman's Classic Cougar innovations (not sure of the web address, Google it) He may be able to build you a set of gauges that look just like the originals, but with idiot lights within the tach. You likely will need a new printed circuit board for a non-tach gauge set. The idiot light conversion is what I bought and very happy with his work. It's worth at least asking the question.

Geoff.

I swapped out my clock with a Rocketman tach - LOVE IT!! ::thumb::

Started out:

attachment.php

In progress:

attachment.php

Here's the end result:

attachment.php

Hi Melfunctions welcome to the forum from Western Australia

Your instrument cluster will be a personal choice in the end

I have the clock same as you and RHD but I just went for a new printed circuit and LED upgrade from Hi Po Parts

If you go the Rocketman option perhaps get a used cluster from OMS or a member parting one out

Wiring just needs to be extended to the instrument/switches side so a decent auto elec could help or perhaps Midlife can do this but shipping will be an issue

Be interesting to hear your wiper solution as I'm yet to go down that road although suggested I just play around with extending/shortening wiper arms

Perhaps PM me or I will - should be a sub-forum for us RHD owners eh?

damn, im going to have to do that rocketman tach.  thats awesome.
 Damn straight it is. Bob did a great job on that. Easy to install and easy to remove the cluster if you use bullet type connectors for the tach wires. Don't buy the cheap ones though!

Hi Melfunctions welcome to the forum from Western Australia

Your instrument cluster will be a personal choice in the end

I have the clock same as you and RHD but I just went for a new printed circuit and LED upgrade from Hi Po Parts

If you go the Rocketman option perhaps get a used cluster from OMS or a member parting one out

Wiring just needs to be extended to the instrument/switches side so a decent auto elec could help or perhaps Midlife can do this but shipping will be an issue

Be interesting to hear your wiper solution as I'm yet to go down that road although suggested I just play around with extending/shortening wiper arms

Perhaps PM me or I will - should be a sub-forum for us RHD owners eh?
 Right hand drive conversion must be a real PITA, There's not much room on that side of the car for steering gear etc. I would also be interested in learning more about this and I'm sure there are members in the UK that would be interested. How about putting up a detailed description of the task, when you have a few hours that is!!

Right hand drive conversion must be a real PITA, There's not much room on that side of the car for steering gear etc. I would also be interested in learning more about this and I'm sure there are members in the UK that would be interested. How about putting up a detailed description of the task, when you have a few hours that is!!
Mega PITA when you buy a vehicle from a guy who bought it off another guy and the guy he bought it off got part way through the conversion leaving a bit of a mess as you can see in my build thread -https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-beginnings-72-coupe-resto

They had put in Falcon steering but positioned it wrong and not being an automotive engineer let alone all the secret squirrel business trying to get information I went down the easy but expensive road of installing a power rack & pinion RHD

I might wait until I get this thing finished and through engineering inspections before I write a how to (or not to)

Hi OP. Haven't posted in a while. I'm in Sunbury if you ever need to check mine out... Done a full custom rewire. There's tutorials here somewhere!

Anyway, if you want to check out another converted 71 mach1, let me know, I'll pm you my email address and we can arrange something...

catch...

Jim

PM me if you need some info on the dash panel and instrument bezel conversion

Mine is already done and out of the car so I can take detailed photos and measurements

I'm going to Melbourne next week but don't think I'll get the dash panel in my hand luggage

Also talk to Griffs over your way, they have converted this model

Back