Scott Drake control arms, not so good....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
A word of warning.

Bought some Scott Drake 67-73 upper control arms recently and was very happy with the quality.

However, today when I was putting the second one on I noticed that there was severe interference between the back of the control arm and the tower - this was stopping the control arm from having free movement in each direction. To get them to fit I had to grind off the areas shown in the photo. I had put the first control arm in yesterday without checking the complete movement - so thought I'd better revisit that side, and sure enough that side was binding too. If I hadn't of noticed who knows what damage to my car it might have caused.

So the bit of grinding I did sorted the problem out, but not cool Mr. Drake forcing me to modify your suspension components like that!

resized_controlarm.jpg

When I did mine I didn't have that issue,

I did have a problem with the lower suspension arm and the fit of the strut rod.

I had to ream out the holes on the drivers side to get the strut into the arm.

Just wondering out loud check the mounts on the upper arm, is there an offset if you rotate them 180 degrees,

When I did mine I didn't have that issue,

I did have a problem with the lower suspension arm and the fit of the strut rod.

I had to ream out the holes on the drivers side to get the strut into the arm.

Just wondering out loud check the mounts on the upper arm, is there an offset if you rotate them 180 degrees,
They are installed now so hard to check, but from what I could see they were quite symmetrical. I seem to recall my 70 Mustang and 75 Falcon had deeper clearance indents in the tower for the pivots on the control arm to rotate into, but I could be mistaken. Anyways, it all seems to work OK now, in fact with the new shocks, spring seats, ball joints and arms the car has never felt better to drive. On the drivers side I found that one of the original control arm bushes had chewed it's way out of the control arm, so it was the bush that was pivoting on one end and not the shaft inside it. Glad I caught that one before it killed me......:s

i tried to look at mine to see the shape but there is no clearance inside for me to look at them, i have some old photos but they don't have the detail needed to compare.

Hey, I need to replace my upper control arms too, which brands do you suggest besides Scott drakes? should I order from rockauto ? Do I have to replace seats too? Springs are fine, new kyb shocks. I Just want a comfy ride.

Thanks

i ordered from Don at ohio mustang
I wanted to buy off Don too, but his control arms are marked as out of stock on his website so I ended up ordering off Mustangs Unlimited instead. There were cheaper ones at Mustangs Unlimited that I could have bought, but they had a disclaimer saying the grease nipples on the ball joints were non functional and for display purposes only. I wanted functional grease nipples.

Flatback72,

I would say they sold you missed labeled upper control arms. Look like you got your self a set of arms for the 65 to 66 mustangs. There is a difference between the 65-66 and 67-73 upper control arms. I went thorough one time before.

mustang7173

take a look at Open Tracker racing products site. original style street or heavy duty racing and well designed. everything i got fit perfect and was not expensive. very friendly folks who make real parts for cars that get driven hard. and while its apart replace the tie rods/ends with genuine Moog parts. Easy to find. not expensive. and will last another 40yrs. your steering will thank you

Hello,

If you buy new upper control arms, make sure you specify 67-73. This is the problem that you will run into if you are not careful on what you order. At least insert them into the chassis and see if the fully move as designed.

1ewisj.jpg

Source: Ford Master Parts

There is a difference between 1965/66 and 1967/73.

mustang7173 :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

If you buy new upper control arms, make sure you specify 67-73. This is the problem that you will run into if you are not careful on what you order. At least insert them into the chassis and see if the fully move as designed.

1ewisj.jpg

Source: Ford Master Parts

There is a difference between 1965/66 and 1967/73.

mustang7173 :rolleyes:
My control arms were ordered as 67-73 and labelled 67-73, but I reckon you're right that they put the wrong label on some 65-66 arms. Makes me wonder if any other 71-73 owners ended up with a set of these and now have a set of damaged towers...:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you do the Shelby mod when you replaced them. It isn't hard and seems to make a reasonable difference.

this was a common problem with the scott drake's. I just replaced my entire suspension and went with dynacorn upper and lower control arms. Perfect fit with no modification needed, plus they came with 90 degree zirc fittings for greasing the upper arm, thats a plus in my book!

I just picked up a new set of arms, and they have the same clearance issue (Scott Drake). I don't understand how someone could try to use 65-66 arms, as the mounting bolt spacing is different (3.75" for the 65-66 and 4.75" for the 67-73). I believe its just the fact that Scott Drake did not take in consideration the extra support brace that is in the spring towers of the 71-73, and the 67-70 does not have this brace. This is a case where they try to make one part fit all. The Scott drake arms are a good quality part (as far as repop part go). It does stink to cut on a brand new part.

Back