Rare Boss 351 Mecum Florida Auction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-312544/1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-fastback/

KISSIMMEE 2018  JAN 5-14

Unique Boss.  I have NEVER seen a racing mirror delete on any Boss 351.

My late production 1972 Q code convertible has similar single chrome door mirror.  

Ill place pics on next post to ensure we have them for a long time after the ad is expired.   I try and do this for any ad I post up so we can have references to cars or items.

Ray

Here are the pics - I am doing this so as others reply to my first post, the huge pics aren't repeated on each one!!! I HATE when that happens!

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capture9.JPG

Capture10.JPG

Capture11.JPG

Capture12.JPG

Capture13.JPG

Capture14.JPG

Capture15.JPG

Capture16.JPG

Capture17.JPG

Capture18.JPG

Capture19.JPG

Capture20.JPG

I like the tags they are displaying on the car too!  I have those two and another one I picked up a few years ago.  

Capture. See the Light tagJPG.JPG  

The one above is a repro made to look a lot like the next one which is an original. 

I am looking for another original stamped one.  The light bulb is pushed out to give a 3d look to it. (Sorry for the frame)

When America Ford TagJPG.JPG

This last one was used by dealers and Ford Marketing at shows where new 1971 cars were displayed.  I would like to find a similar 72 model!

71 Ford tag.jpg

Lots of repros out there.  

Ray

This is a special ordered paint BOSS, very rare! This why it has no racing mirrors, only 1 chrome drivers side. This car was for sale on ebay some years ago.

I documented this car back in 2012 at Perkins shop up in WI. It had recently come into his collection from the original owner with its original paint. I later documented it again in Indy after the new owner restored the underside but left the original paint. It was a solid car and a very original example to draw from.

I thought all the Boss 351s came stock with spoilers - although, I remember seeing one featured in Mustang Monthly where the guy or ordered his didn't want the chin spoiler installed.

But Hey - if you looked it over BK, that's "legit enough for me." ::thumb::

But boy, did they screw up the stripes on that one.

There was a lot to be left for granted on this car.  Remember these things were rolling down the assembly line all day long and you had 40 - 60 seconds to do your job before the next one arrived.  Here are a few more pictures of the car.  First at Perkins then at Indy

At Perkins Shop

PC280273.jpg

PC270232.jpg

PC270227.jpg

At Indy after restoration

P1010140.JPG

P1010141.JPG

P1010177.JPG

You can see some of the chin spoiler in this picture of the trunk

P1010159.JPG

Spoiler was in the trunk and never installed at the dealer.
Confusing ---- is the "in" meant to be ON (on the trunk)? 1971-1973 cars were either with or without spoilers RIGHT? Trunk bars had different rates for the weight - so adjustment was at the factory. WE DON'T have spoilers "all over the place" -as you would with the variables of drilling at dealers all over the world. Never saw a deck template (let alone lots of them left over) like with antenna templates (from radio kits) .

Mark

P.S. Just tried to put a spoiler into a 71 trunk opening. (only way is with a fold down and it straight into the back seat)

The interior looks exactly like mine. I even have the same steering wheel and mirrors. Nice to see this and compare what a well cared for example looks like versus mine. I think Mine has held up the years very well.

This is a really good reference picture of the heavy duty hood springs. It really shows how the springs are flattened instead of round like the light duty hood springs. And Damn look at that windshield wiper motor.

I cant wait till January so I can see it in person. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe what bkdunha was referring to is the front spoiler, which was standard and only available on the 71 Boss, being temporarily placed in the trunk. It was flexible and  placed in the trunk much like the front spoilers and air dams on the 74-78 Mustang II Cobra, King Cobra's and 79-82 Pace Car, Cobra and GT's. Between the train ride from the assembly plant and the transportation by the Motor Convoy carrier, anything that sat that low had a zero chance of arriving at the dealer undamaged.

The rear spoiler was not standard but was available on any sportsroof for a whopping $32.00 (as of 1/71) and was production installed. I don't remember seeing a template with the over the counter rear spoiler. We made a template from a employees 72 Mach 1 that had a production rear spoiler for shop use. Saw a lot of ruined deck lids with holes drilled crooked and too high!

This is a really good reference picture of the heavy duty hood springs.  It really shows how the springs are flattened instead of round like the light duty hood springs.  And Damn look at that windshield wiper motor.

I cant wait till January so I can see it in person.  :)
When you do go to see it look at all of the runs in the cowl.  I added that picture to show just one of them, there were a lot more.  They also left a build sheet attached to the right side front marker light under the fender. Sorta cheesy in my opinion, but oh well.

One think I do not understand for this being an original paint car. The trunk spatter paint is applied after the interior trap door is installed in a fold down car.  Their should be overspray of the trunk paint on the trap door.  I still need to do this with mine and saved some of the spatter paint specifically for this purpose.

P1010214.JPG

Back