Ram Air friendly distributer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarguy

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland
Just bought a '72 Mach with Ram Air and I'm having a problem getting the air cleaner to clear my Proform distributer.  If there's no work around for the Proform, I'll have to use something else.  I read some threads that suggested Pertronix III or Mallory with addition of some spacers but that was on a '73.  Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually wound up going with a Duraspark Blue Grommet ignition, NPD Duraspark conversion harness, and a Cardon distributor for Duraspark II from Summit Racing. Works like a champ, is stock appearing, and clears the Ram Air air cleaner with no issues.

I actually wound up going with a Duraspark Blue Grommet ignition, NPD Duraspark conversion harness, and a Cardon distributor for Duraspark II from Summit Racing.  Works like a champ, is stock appearing, and clears the Ram Air air cleaner with no issues.

Thanks

IMO, Pertronix III is a piece of crap. My suggestion would be as Mr4X4 and go with a DuraSpark set-up or a Cardone reman or a Cardone Select version of the original Motorcraft with a Pertronix II module and coil. BUT beware, If you want to run 14-16 degrees of initial timing, you may need to modify the limit stop slot to allow only 20* on the crank L10 slot @ .410". This was my experience with my 71 351C 4V with 10:1 pistons on 91 octane pump gas to eliminate spark rattle. All the reman and the new Cardone select I have seen, are set up with 30* on the crank or an L15 slot, which would be right for the factory original 6* initial timing, 36* total mechanical. I welded mine up and recut it. If you get lucky and find an L13 slot, you can add a sleeve to the pin and it will get you close. A piece of 3/16"nylon tube will do the trick, just warm it up so it shapes to the pin. Sorry but from my humble, mega knowledge, it's not Plug-N-Play if you want to keep your ram air (not that I'm lucky enough to have ram air!)

I have posted with pictures on this, but I have no idea how to include the post here.

Back