Transmission ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1972 fb
Having a problem with my 71. Starts and runs fine but when I put it into gear any gear nothing. Wont move an inch no noise or any thing C6 trans. Motor or trans has not been out of the car. Any ideas  ??? thanks

Easy fix would be its low on fluid. Have any leaks? Checked the fluid lately when it was hot , engine running in park? You don't get forward or reverse at all? What if you wait a while does it engage?

Probably could be one of several thing then but Id have to refer this one to a trans expect then. If you lived closer to central NY I could sell you a C6 if it came to that!

If the fluid is okay then check the shift linkage to the trans. The bolt on the shifter side could be loose which will allow the shifter to move from park to drive, but the loose linkage to the teans is not moving with it.

put the rear on jack stands, start the car and go under and manually shift the car into gear and see if the trans engages. If you feel the "clicking" when you move the shift arm and no movement, you most likely have a bad torque converter

put the rear on jack stands, start the car and go under and manually shift the car into gear and see if the trans engages. If you feel the "clicking" when you move the shift arm and no movement, you most likely have a bad torque converter

PLEASE... nobody go under their car while it is running on jack stands - it isn't worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLEASE... nobody go under their car while it is running on jack stands - it isn't worth it.
Thank you.... sheesh....

Here's what I'd do.

1 - verify that your fluid is full. Start car, run in park for 30 secs or so, cycle through gears pausing in each for 10 secs (you should feel a solid detent for each gear). Pull dipstick, wipe fluid off, re-stick and check. As long as there is fluid somewhere near the full line, there's enough to get it into gear. If not, add fluid 'til it shows on the stick. Type F only!

2 - If you have plenty of fluid and still no joy, and you've verified that the shifter is actually moving the shift lever on the side of the trans, then I would pull the dust cover off the front of the bellhousing and check that the torque converter is bolted to the flexplate. Fords normally had studs on the converter, but you never know if it has an aftermarket perfomance converter. 

3 - if all that does nothing, then I think it's time to take it to the tranny shop.

Well I could not find any leaks not low in fluids.So I jacked up the rear end and put it on jack stands Started it up and let it run in gear for about 45 mins. Set it back on the ground drove it down the road a few miles. No problems. Why It would not go in gear a few weeks ago I have no idea. All working fine now. Thanks for all the help.

Back