Casting dates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
For everyone trying to restore their cars to as close to original as possible - here is a real observation of the casting date on my Boss 351's original block.

1F173943 is a square block with a casting date of 0L25 Nov 25 1970

1F02R173943 was produced Feb 12 1971 and was 3 days ahead of schedule

This indicates my car's block was produced very early in the production cycle for all Boss 351's.  But not pulled from inventory and utilized until about 78 days later!  So for me - casting dates on parts just need to be prior to the actual build date and within a couple of months.  Only exception would be if you are dealing with a part that was changed prior to your build date.  This would limit your time for acceptable date codes.

Ray

For everyone trying to restore their cars to as close to original as possible - here is a real observation of the casting date on my Boss 351's original block.

1F173943 is a square block with a casting date of 0L25 Nov 25 1970

1F02R173943 was produced Feb 12 1971 and was 3 days ahead of schedule

This indicates my car's block was produced very early in the production cycle for all Boss 351's.  But not pulled from inventory and utilized until about 78 days later!  So for me - casting dates on parts just need to be prior to the actual build date and within a couple of months.  Only exception would be if you are dealing with a part that was changed prior to your build date.  This would limit your time for acceptable date codes.

Ray

Hi Ray

Everyone will look at this differently!   IN YOUR CASE - the fact that "the blocK' didn't get selected for assembly for a month doesn't change the "date code range" for all other parts of the car.   Yes it makes it easier for you opening up the window for exhaust manifolds or oil pan BUT not for the entire car build (which I think you know).

Being cast THE DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING had more to do with why it got shuffled to the back of the stack !  While the foundry work through the holiday (actually always was hot) transportation and machining didn't.  Because demand for the Boss motor was so much less than all others "rotation" (READ lack of it) played a big part also.

Acceptance window for a DAP 1971 car as usually much MUCH tighter -than say a SJ built SCJ from 1969.  We have seen many engines cast, machined and assembled within days of each other ESPECIALLY for the early Nov cars.   Once caught up - Ford was pretty good on controlling production based on sales demand IMO.    Look at the sub- suppliers of say radiators or carbs.  Supplied more in "batches from demand" there are only so many dates available........THEN you have the rush to supply on an open PO "before year end" / wait until next year budgeting to supply discussion with that group!

LOVE IT 

Mark 
IMG_3549.JPG

Just because I'm bored and can't do much, just sitting around after a shoulder op, I thought I'd add to this as it might be relevant.

My 71 M code 351C was cast on January 7th 71, engine built February 12 and the car was assembled Feb 22nd, 2 days ahead of schedule. So my block likely sat for more than a month before being pulled for VIN stamping, machining and assembly.

Hello Ray

I have a 73 Mach 1 Q code car. I am trying to determine if it has the original engine. It is a 351 4V. The casting number is D2AE-CA with a date stamp of 2D18 which tells me it is a CJ engine which was cast April 18, 1972. The vin stamp on the rear left side of block is 2A268999. I'm not sure if an engine cast in April of 72 woul have been put in a car built in March of 73. The vin stamp on rear of block does not correlate to the vin on the dash which is what I thought it was supposed to do. Any help would be appreciated.

1goldcjmach

Hello Ray

I have a 73 Mach 1 Q code car. I am trying to determine if it has the original engine. It is a 351 4V. The casting number is D2AE-CA with a date stamp of 2D18 which tells me it is a CJ engine which was cast April 18, 1972. The vin stamp on the rear left side of block is 2A268999. I'm not sure if an engine cast in April of 72 woul have been put in a car built in March of 73. The vin stamp on rear of block does not correlate to the vin on the dash which is what I thought it was supposed to do. Any help would be appreciated.

1goldcjmach
 Ray, or someone just as knowledgeable, will likely confirm one way or another, but I know my block has the same vin serial # as is on the dash and under the fenders by the shock towers. Therefore mine is the original engine block to the car.

It does seem like it is not the original block though, but I have little knowledge on  73's.

Geoff.

PS, welcome to the site by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
1Goldcjmach, according to the info you have provided, your 351 4bl is not the original production installed engine in your 73 Mach 1. The original engine block stamping would have started with "3F' indicating  "3"-1973 and "F"- Dearborn which was the sole assembly plant for your1973 Mach 1. The last six digits would be the same as the fender apron stamping's and the plate on your dashboard. The "2A" on yours indicates a 72 production installed engine in "A" Atlanta which was building Gran Torino's.

A lot of Mustangs probably ended up with Torino/Montego sourced replacement 351C engines over the years since they were installed from 70-74 (72-74 Q code) and were plentiful.

Unless building a Concours level show car, the "Q" engine you have will work fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
1Goldcjmach, according to the info you have provided, your 351 4bl is not the original production installed engine in your 73 Mach 1. The original engine block stamping would have started with "3F' indicating  "3"-1973 and "F"- Dearborn which was the sole assembly plant for your1973 Mach 1. The last six digits would be the same as the fender apron stamping's and the plate on your dashboard. The "2A" on yours indicates a 72 production installed engine in "A" Atlanta which was building Gran Torino's.

A lot of Mustangs probably ended up with Torino/Montego sourced replacement 351C engines over the years since they were installed from 70-74  (72-74 Q code) and were plentiful.

Unless building a Concours level show car, the "Q" engine you have will work fine!
Thanks for the information se luff. I didn't think that it was original engine based on what I was learning based on the stamping and casting numbers. I appreciate your reply.

1goldcjmach

Bringing this back up from the depths again....

Ray- would you happen to have casting date info for any of the other pieces (water pump, intake, heads etc.) on your original engine?

In a quick internet search, it seems engine part casting dates are usually within 15-45 days of the car's build date.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for stock and appropriate bits and pieces for my 429 car and have an intake dated '0D21', but I think that its a little too early for my build date of 9/11/70. I got closer with a block I had in my stash, its date is '0G8'.

Thanks!

-Matt

Matt,

Unfortunately I don't have much on casting dates.  But there are quite a few members on here that are very sharp on them.

SVO2SCJ & Secluff both on this thread

Best of luck. 

Back