Headers for 351W?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
Gathering up stuff for my 72 Coupe....

It will have a 351w and automatic trans. I would like to put headers on it. Looking at Summitt, I see some headers, but they all seem to be for 351w but not specific for this body style. Does anyone have a part number for some that have been tried and fit properly? I think I would prefer long headers if they don't hang too low, but not dead set on them. I just don't want issues with clearance anywhere like starter or shock tower. Thanks! Earl

It's hard to clear the shock towers and the steering box.

I used the long tube headers I had on the 302 on my 351w after the engine swap and it worked fine.

I could try and look if I still have the reference somewhere but I think they've been discontinued.

When I decided to put on a stock style repro exhaust I found out that Hedman make shorty headers specifically for 351W swaps on 123 Mustangs.

I got them through Summit.

Here are the search results for 289, 302 and 351W for 1971 Mustangs.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1971/make/ford/model/mustang/department/exhaust/part-type/headers/brand/hedman-hedders

As the 302 is a Wndsor too, those should fit but I won't guarantee it as the 351W is wider.

I know that the shorties for the 351W swap fit but it's a tight fit. I used the ceramic coated ones and the finish is still immaculate after a few years. I can recommend them.

Looking at the same for my swap. Going to try the 351 swap foxbody long tubes that I have just for a look see.

Back