351C 2V Exhaust System Recommendation?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

I've decided to look for a complete exhaust system replacement for my '73 vert. It currently incorporates a single exhaust system, with the original h-pipe and intermediate pipe. An aftermarket muffler and tail pipe were added at some point in time. This system wont cut it once I finish detailing the suspension and underneath the car in general over the winter. Although I want to keep the car close to original, I know the Cleveland's like to breathe...

So I am looking for a bolt on exhaust system for the factory 351C 2V, stock exhaust manifolds; with turn downs at the rear valence. 

Is there any good (not too loud) in the box aluminzed systems out there that I can order and have shipped to Buffalo where I will drive over and pick up?

I am looking for a complete kit, hangers, etc.

Thanks In advance for any recommendations.

I found that many of the muffler choices did not utilize the original style hanger mount. I think I got the mufflers from NPD. They had the 2 1/4" H and Y pipes and the one piece tail pipe with the turndown. It has a nice tone to it, louder than stock, but not too loud. If you want the factory look, be sure to check for the right mount and hanger. I went with a 2 1/4" pipe, with the stock manifolds it's big enough and it fits easily past the vert reinforcement plate.

Also, if you are going from single to duals, you may run into the problem I had. My car had the holes in the frame on the driver's side where the hangers would bolt to the frame, but no threaded back plate or nut to screw the hangars in to, and you cant get behind the holes to weld the back plate or nut in. I ended up using Steel Rivet Nuts which expand when compressed in each mounting hole on the driver's side where there were no threaded mounting holes.

I've decided to look for a complete exhaust system replacement for my '73 vert. It currently incorporates a single exhaust system, with the original h-pipe and intermediate pipe. An aftermarket muffler and tail pipe were added at some point in time. This system won't cut it once I finish detailing the suspension and underneath the car in general over the winter. Although I want to keep the car close to original, I know the Cleveland's like to breathe...

So I am looking for a bolt on exhaust system for the factory 351C 2V, stock exhaust manifolds; with turn downs at the rear valence. 

Is there any good (not too loud) in the box aluminzed systems out there that I can order and have shipped to Buffalo where I will drive over and pick up?

Are you looking to install another single or change to a dual....

Either way, are you ruling out using a quality shop to fabricate a replacement ?

I found that many of the muffler choices did not utilize the original style hanger mount. I think I got the mufflers from NPD. They had the 2 1/4" H and Y pipes and the one piece tail pipe with the turndown. It has a nice tone to it, louder than stock, but not too loud.  If you want the factory look, be sure to check for the right mount and hanger. I went with a 2 1/4" pipe, with the stock manifolds it's big enough and it fits easily past the vert reinforcement plate.

Also, if you are going from single to duals,  you may run into the problem I had. My car had the holes in the frame on the driver's side where the hangers would bolt to the frame, but no threaded back plate or nut to screw the hangars in to, and you cant get behind the holes to weld the back plate or nut in. I ended up using Steel Rivet Nuts which expand when compressed in each mounting hole on the driver's side where there were no threaded mounting holes.

True... I haven’t looked at the passenger side mount to see if the hanger threads are there, but figured I would have to deal with that aspect... I’ve seen the various mustang site components, but I am looking for a complete system if possible. I note that the fact I am leaving it as a stock 2V setup, limits my options on availability. I see that CJ HHS’s a system, but apparently it does not come with the muffler hanger tabs???

I bought a complete system for my 429 car from Precision Exhaust, I may have to see if they have one for this car. I like your setup though. I’ll keep this in mind.

I've decided to look for a complete exhaust system replacement for my '73 vert. It currently incorporates a single exhaust system, with the original h-pipe and intermediate pipe. An aftermarket muffler and tail pipe were added at some point in time. This system won't cut it once I finish detailing the suspension and underneath the car in general over the winter. Although I want to keep the car close to original, I know the Cleveland's like to breathe...

Are you looking to install another single or change to a dual....

Either way, are you ruling out using a quality shop to fabricate a replacement ?
Bill, looking for a complete system. I’ll remove the factory h-pipe and intermediate pipe and store away... I haven’t looked into a custom made setup in my area, l enjoy the fun??? Of getting under the car on the floor and installing myself... I’ll learn someday.

22 years ago when I bought my car it still had the single exhaust on it. I has a custom 2 1/4" system built for it with generic turbo mufflers. It really woke the car up performance wise for the stockiness of the engine. You do not need to overthink it nor spend a lot of money. I think I paid $214 all those years ago out the door. If I were to do it again I'd just go and have 2 1/2" pipe installed as its easier to get mufflers and attach things like headers and exhaust tips at a later date.

Ken,

My 73 also was born with a single exhaust along with a 351C 2V. I went with a Precision brand system and was happy with the end results. I did modify a couple pipes and shorten the muffler hangers to tuck them up closer to the floor pan, just because I don't like to see any pipes below the frame / rocker panel areas.   I found that with the second muffler hanger, Ford had only left impressions for the bolt placement for all hangers and used a very course thread lag type self-threading bolt with a 1/2" hex head to fasten them to the body. 

I hope this helps !!! 

Thanks, Jay

Not to get sidetracked, but the thread below talked about converting a single exhaust to dual, and about using nutserts to mount the driver side muffler hanger. I used the rubber ones from the local Ace hardware after opening up the hole with a drill bit. Got slightly longer bolts while I was there too. Worked perfectly and no one can tell the difference and I use the stock muffler hanger.

Don at OMS helped me with the mufflers which have the mounting bracket for the hanger welded on. Goodnigh's comments (elsewhere) on his system sold me.

And I guess I lucked out - the mounting nuts for the tailpipe hanger were there. Hope this helps some.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-single-to-dual-exhaust-conversion?highlight=muffler+hanger

Thx for the replies ... I am very familiar with Precision as I went with that system for my Pastel Blue vert... I wasn’t sure if they sold one for the 2V Cleveland setup? I knew they had the 4V dual system. I will contact them to make sure they can do the stock 2V system ftom H-Pipe back.

Thx for the replies ... I am very familiar with Precision as I went with that system for my Pastel Blue vert... I wasn’t sure if they sold one for the 2V Cleveland setup? I knew they had the 4V dual system. I will contact them to make sure they can do the stock 2V system ftom H-Pipe back.
They do the stock set up for the 351 2v with turn downs. I have/had it on mine. Then had to modify it for my headers but out of the box was an exact fit to the stock manifolds to the back.

They do the stock set up for the 351 2v with turn downs. I have/had it on mine. Then had to modify it for my headers but out of the box was an exact fit to the stock manifolds to the back.
Great! I will go back to them as I was pleased with the system on my B.B. vert. 

Does anyone have experience with their performance muffler vs. The stock? I put the stock of on my other vert.

Does anyone have experience with their performance muffler vs. The stock? I put the stock of on my other vert.
The performance muffler will be loud - its along the lines of a flow master

They don't have the correct hangers for our cars - I did send him a full set of samples a year or so ago

I got the “turbo” mufflers with mine. They aren’t too loud nor to I think they are a performance muffler. :)

Thanks... I think I will just stick with the factory appearance muffler they offer. After thinking about it further, we are talking a 2V carb set up here, performance ist not quite the right word. 

In the end, the dual exhaust will still be a nice upgrade with factory appearance on the car. 

Credit card time...

Back