Rust Encapsulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hello ALL,

Has anyone ever used this product from Eastwood before? It's a RUST ENCAPSULATOR specifically designed to preserve the INSIDE of a frame. 

Before applying, loose dirt and debris has to be removed. The can comes with a 24" plastic hose and  metal nozzle that has a conical spray pattern for a complete coverage so you just shove the hose into an opening and while you're pressing the button slowly pull the hose back out and after drying apply a second coat. Does this really stop rust? Thanks in advance!

IMG_0874.JPG

It's probably a carry over of the old Rusty Jones coating from the 70's .. Never seen it before, but if it works, go for it..

Thanks Guys, I'll check that out since I cut out my driver side floor and the frame is somewhat exposed. I just got 5 cans of the Eastwood stuff for the frame where a brush cannot reach! How far does a quart of Rust Bullet go? Sorry for the picture on its side.

IMG_0860.JPG

I use this one for a while... German I think.

We have seriously wet air over here 80% of the year, and condensed water eats up cars from the inside.

I've tried lots of products over the years.

On my 91 5.0 T-bird, it was rusting from the inside, so when I found a 93 5.0 which is the exact same car that was rust free 10 years ago for just 1k,

I've used this where the other was rusty. The car is always outside like the 91 was, in all weather. This summer needed do some minor metal repair on fenders and removed inner panels to clean it up really good... found out that all places i've treated it with this one were just like when I treated them.

Its some kind of "rubbery" wax, it doesn't burn and smells only until it is no longer liquid after application. Its transparent and remains flexible.

It can also easily be removed with thinner in case of, which is handy, as the nozzle provided is really spraying everywhere.

I buy it by a professional who sells/mix car paint and all kinds of paint/body work related stuffs for pros here in the north. Never seen it else where.

A can is like 8-10 bucks and you can treat as much surface as you would do with a classic paint can. it comes with 2 nozzles, one regular and one as on pict to treat places where you could not insert the can.

Also treated the inner side of my 73 hood, the back side of the bumpers and cowl vent as well, no rust to be seen there.

I also would love to find back a french sink paint I've used in cabine for the roof, panels and trunk, red/orange colored this brushed paint has protected

the car since I have it (+ 30 years) and there too, no rust. I regret I did not apply that one everywhere back then :(

Once its back from a new paint job, in a not too far future, I will use the above again in all not yet treated cavities I can find. Regret I did use it

inside the T-bird doors and not the mustang doors.

For my 71, it's too late... Need first to find a way to remove the rust in the inside, stabilise/stop it and then protect it.

I've used Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood many times; it is far better than POR 15 and can be applied with a brush or from an aerosol can. It makes a great base for paint once it dries. I used it on the roof interior, back side of the dash and cowl, steering box, etc., where surface rust is evident. If there is serious rust, it is best to replace the metal because the strength has been compromised. Never had a problem with it peeling, scaling, or not holding paint. Rust Encapsulator has its place, but it is not a cure-all for rust.

[but it is not a cure-all for rust]

Totally, the stuff above, isn't managing rust or doing anything to it at all, it just prevent oxidation on clean surfaces by isolating them from air/water etc...

I was using another popular stuff before, re-known over here, called RX10. But while ok for a few years, it doesn't age very well, and dries out creating cracks.

That's why I went trying other solutions and so far this one does the job nicely. Stays bit sticky and flexible as seen on the treated inner panels/cavities on my t-bird 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used rust bullet on my car. Entire floor and frame. Stuff is as hard as nails and smells like cancer In a can so it must be good! P.s use a charcoal filter respirator or better and wear gloves. I'm curious to see long term studies of how well it holds up on rusted areas.

Back