FiTECH and mallory and fuel choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
I'm thinking of buying one.  I kinda think I should buy the 600HP version.  Leaves room for growth.  The car probably makes 250HP right now LOL. 

Anyway, I have been reading about the fuel choices

1. Fitech command center (has a slew of problems that may or may not be fixed)

2. RobbMC surge tank (no issues I have seen)

3. Fitech inline fuel pump (kinda a little kooky, not sure of benefit)

4. Tankinc (nice but a lot of work starvation still an issue)

So the surge tank seems like the easiest to install.  Tony-muscle has one and has driven for I think a year with good luck.  Seems an easy thing to mount.

Distributor dilemma

Two choices really

1. use the ignition control

2. don't use it

Benefits smooth idle? Easier starting? 

Con I have a Mallory distributor that works in perfect harmony with my factory tach.  I'm not really wanting to reinvent the wheel here..........

Thoughts?

My thoughts are to run the RobbMC tank and leave the distributor alone

I dont know if the Mallory works, but any magnetic distributor should work. The ones that dont work are the ones called "ready to work."

I suggest you install the FiTech with Robbmc first. Run and adjust the system first without spark control. The system will need fine tuning of acceleration pump and starting fuel and others. Its a lot easier to troubleshoot one at a time. Once you have the fuel management under control then install the spark control.

I dont have spark control yet. I am using a MSD module with a standard distributor. With the stroker I will use a Duraspark distributor with MSD module first and after adjusting the fuel I will try using the spark control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct to stay away from the FCC. I'm running a walbro in line pump and have yet to have an issue. I would also skip the timing control for a while, as long as you get the distributor curved to your cam shaft the timing control just isn't worth it. Plus noise can be a big issue with timing control.

Other than that you should be happy with the FiTech. I've only had mine on for a couple months but really enjoy how easy it is to tune.

Don't know why people have so much trouble with the FCC. Follow the instructions and it works fine. Mines been going well in my F100 for about a 18 months now. Not a single problem. I have the 400hp Go Street kit and its perfectly suited to what I use it for. And I'm pretty close to that 400hp mark. I use the stock distributor with a pertronix ignitor to operate a MSD 6A ignition box, then the tach output from the MSD goes to trigger the FiTEch.

That'a the other thing is it worth the extra cash for the 600HP unit. I don't think the 351 will ever hit the 400 mark . It is stock

I'm looking into the fitech as well with FCC. What would be the downfall on running it? How loud is the inline pump?

Back