Leather wrapped steering wheel...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Received my Marti today for the green '73 vert with the Avocado interior... It contained everything I expected to see except for one addition; a leather wrapped steering wheel. My steering wheel is showing the factory avocado green , no leather wrapped steering wheel... The notch in the steering wheel at 3 o'clock leads me to believe that this is where the final tie off was for the leather wrap...

I am looking to purchase a replacement black leather to give the factory look as per the options the car was born with. Does anyone have any leads on something like this?

Last edited:
There is a guy on eBay that sells them. I think David has posted a link at one time. I can look tomorrow to se if I can find it and post a link.

Pastel Blue,

I believe that is the original steering wheel. What is the cutout on the right hand side?

Take a look at the stock steering wheel. You can see the gripping lines and other features molded in the wheel. Yours does not have that. Is it possible the leather was removed?

Thanks

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Pastel Blue,

I believe that is the original steering wheel. What is the cutout on the right hand side?

Take a look at the stock steering wheel. You can see the gripping lines and other features molded in the wheel. Yours does not have that. Is it possible the leather was removed?

Thanks

mustang7173
I am a little confused by your response (what you are asking)? Currently, no leather wrapped steering wheel on my, I believe, original to the car avocado steering wheel. I’m pretty sure the only colour of leather wrap used on these back in the day was black. 

I too am questioning the notch in my steering wheel at the 3 o’clock position in my original post. It has been many years since I had this version of the factory steering wheel. My PB vert has the basic steering wheel with the Center horn button, can’t use a comparison.

The only other possibility is a mistake in the Marti Report. I went through this on that report for my other vert... 

I have the build sheet, I can’t tell by the reading the steering wheel component on this sheet if it indicates a leather wrapped steering wheel. If someone knows what should be showing on the Build Sheet to confirm that it was ordered, let me know. Thanks

Pastel Blue,

My apologizes for the confusion. I was comparing your current steering wheel with a 1972 stock wheel . You can see the difference in the plastic. Just wondering if the original leather was removed.

Thanks,

mustang7173

Pastel Blue,

My apologizes for the confusion. I was comparing your current steering wheel with a 1972 stock wheel . You can see the difference in the plastic. Just wondering if the original leather was removed.

Thanks,

mustang7173
-

You nailed it - the notch is where it is over-lapped and tied

Good to go... I recall seeing this notch when I first looked at the car on line and saying to myself that something was odd about it... Haven't lost my marbles just yet...

Thanks for the replies, will move forward to have the leather wrap reinstalled.

Pastel Blue,

Thanks,

mustang7173
Got it: and yes the leather was removed before I got the car. Learned something new today. Thanks

Ken,

I believe David's (Carolina Mountain Mustang) 73 mach 1 untouched original has a leather wrapped wheel. Maybe he would post a few photos for all to see ?

Thanks, Jay
Cool, that would be nice to see, especially at the 3 o’clock position...

Please let us know how it turns out. I am curious.
If I forget..., remind me.  :shootself:

Ken, we'll all be sure to remind you! Lol    I have an Explorer that the leather has somehow become twisted on the wheel. Had looked at that web site and threatened to order one of the new covers but kept on putting it off. Now we  wait and see!

Here is the info I have on the leather wheel option. It was offered on the first generation Mustang only in 73. Regardless of the trim code, black was the only color offered for the Mustang. What is strange is that the leather wrapped wheel was sourced from the Pinto which offered colors such as red, blue, silver/grey, gold/tan and..... avocado. The leather wrap wheel option continued on the Torino, Pinto, Granada, and Mustang II through 78 when the steering wheel design change was phased in on the different car and truck lines.   :)

I really thought the leather wrap closely matched the wheel color?

Might be worth further investigation. Maybe a 73 brochure might show?

Ray

Back