Sill Plate screw holes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I am in the midst of replacing my seat pedestals with the correct Fastback pans, while I was removing my sill plates I noticed a few of the screw holes have stripped out. Should I just drill new holes a 1/4" offset from the originals, or should I weld the little slots shut and re-tap the holes? What is the usual fix for this? Thanks!!

I am in the midst of replacing my seat pedestals with the correct Fastback pans, while I was removing my sill plates I noticed a few of the screw holes have stripped out. Should I just drill new holes a 1/4" offset from the originals, or should I weld the little slots shut and re-tap the holes? What is the usual fix for this? Thanks!!
Depending upon how oversize the hole is, you may get by wrapping a length of heavy string around the screw threads and tightening the screws again carefully.

Mac

If you have a welder I would weld them up. No need to re-tap as they are self threading coarse screws. Another option is JB Weld the hole to a smaller and drill a starter hole diameter if the holes are oversized.

You might try picking up some stainless steel  or chrome screws one size bigger before you do all that welding work

Ahhhh! Try the plastic inserts for drywall screws: works perfectly!

+1 on those plastic anchors. Need to make the hole a bit larger to accommodate the insert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back