• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

429 Bloc plates or brackets, was [Frame Perches ]

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco549

Reaction score
My Car
'72 Mach 1 roller
Let me know what you have (Private MSG please) with shipping to 37743. I need the lower sitting convertible frame perches (Engine Mounts).  

I need the 429 brackets that attach to the block. [block plates] 

Also, I have parts to trade if you need something for your build.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably go with new ones since original motor mounts rubber could be bad. Mustangs Unlimited sells LH and RH for $18.95 each for 71-72.  I had my original motor mounts chromed a long time ago, they still look good but I don't know if the rubber insulators are bad. Just my 2 cents.

71-72. I'm not looking for the rubber mounts. I need the frame perches, supposedly they allow the engine to sit 1/2" lower (any V8) for convertible? I cant verify that.

Also looking for 429/460 engine mounting brackets that the rubber mounts attach to on the block. I can buy them new for about 130.........but I'm cheap!

The small block frame mounts ( Perches) are the same for all 71 to 72 years. The 71-72 frame mounts are taller than the 73 mounts, because in 73 ford went to a captive motor mount design to meet Fed. Regulations. The new 73 captive motor mounts are taller and therefore required a lower frame mount or perch. Original 73 captive mounts are hard to find, so many 73 car owners swap both the frame and motor mounts for the 71-72 style because they are easier and cheaper to get. I've seen cars with mismatched sets ie 72 motor mounts and 73 frame mounts and the engine does not sit right.

Also I have heard that there are slight height differences between the coupe/fastback and convertible small block motor mounts but not the perch. Lowering the engine at the motor mount would tilt the trans tail up slightly and help the clearance with the convertible tunnel reinforcement plate, but it may cause contact with the fan shroud.

Big Block mounts different.

Let me know what you have (Private MSG please) with shipping to 37743. I need the lower sitting convertible frame perches (Engine Mounts). 

Also, I have parts to trade if you need something for your build.

Tim
Tim, I think I have a set

I will look later today or this weekend

OK, I'm confused now. I'm putting a 429 in a 351C car. The 429 mounts on the engine are 1pc each side , 3 bolts to engine requiring 4 1/2" perch width. The perches on the car are 3 1/2" wide which I believe require the 2pc mounts that attach to block with only two bolts. The service manual is not clear [to me] as to which is correct. I look up MM's on the part site rockauto and it shows the wider, 3 bolt mounts are correct. Do I need new, wider perches for the 429?

Help!

Wilco,

I did that swap a few years ago also. The mounts you need are the two piece models. I know Rockauto and some others sell one piece mounts used on LTD's & Torinos and they will work on our cars, but it puts the motor lower in the chassis and makes add'l clearance issues for exhaust, manifolds, headers, etc. Take a look at "Crites Performance Parts" website and Mustangs Unlimited and they both sell a kits / parts needed. I was able to obtain used 429 frame perches and new (2) piece motor mounts from our vendors for my car.....

Thanks, Jay

Looking at this today on my long stalled 73 Fastback with 460.

First grungy pic is 351c stock upper and lower engine mounts still hanging on the Cleveland.

Second pic of 460 on stand intended to go in 62-65 Fairlane (another stalled project..), with Crites 460 into Fairlane conversion motor mounts.

Third pic is what is on the 460 in my 73 now. IDR if I got 429 lower frame mounts and bought a 429 engine side mount (or even if frame side mounts were 429, or what...), but the upper mount is actually two pieces.  So, for whatever it's worth as an example, 3 pieces for mounts on each side of mine..

Looking at this today on my long stalled 73 Fastback with 460.

First grungy pic is 351c stock upper and lower engine mounts still hanging on the Cleveland.

Second pic of 460 on stand intended to go in 62-65 Fairlane (another stalled project..), with Crites 460 into Fairlane conversion motor mounts.

Third pic is what is on the 460 in my 73 now. IDR if I got 429 lower frame mounts and bought a 429 engine side mount (or even if frame side mounts were 429, or what...), but the upper mount is actually two pieces.  So, for whatever it's worth as an example, 3 pieces for mounts on each side of mine..

Thanks! I've updated the original post with what I really need. :D

Don, I'm pretty sure those FE Mounts will not work on the 385 series 429-460 engine.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Don, I'm pretty sure those FE Mounts will not work on the 385 series 429-460 engine.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
you are correct.  I just purchased them and they do not fit.  need to return them this week.

Back