1/4 window weather strip replacement ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 conv. 250 inline 6 black int. orange paint
[url=https://ibb.co/ifut7w][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dHY9fG/IMG_0824.jpg[/img][/url]
i have looked in the forums and can't find the answer . how do you replace the 1/4 window weather strip ? i have seen some say remove the screw at the bottom and slide the rubber out. and other say to remove the metal channel from the glass . so how is it done please help .its a conv

thanks norm

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I did. You have to carefully remove the metal trim from the glass. Remove the old weatherstrip and clean everything. Slide the new weatherstrip into the channel, it'll go easy until about halfway or so, but carefully keep pushing/pulling on it until you get it all the way in, be patient. I put a bead of clear silicone in the channel (glass side) before putting it back on the glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no screw at the bottom

The channel is bent closed

The w-strip slides down into the quarter panel area

Use water and some dish soap for lubricant when sliding it back up

+1 there is a thin black rubber strip between the metal edge and the glass that wraps around the edge of the glass and seals the metal strip to the glass. The rubber seal will be damaged when removing the metal strip. I have not found a replacement for this seal. Without it the metal strip will not fit snuggly to the glass, so as mentioned previously use a generous amount of clear silicone and let dry thoroughly when reinstalling the metal strip to the glass.

+1 there is a thin black rubber strip between the metal edge and the glass that wraps around the edge of the glass and seals the metal strip to the glass. The rubber seal will be damaged when removing the metal strip. I have not found a replacement for this seal. Without it the metal strip will not fit snuggly to the glass, so as mentioned previously use a generous amount of clear silicone and let dry thoroughly when reinstalling the metal strip to the glass.
when you used the silicone in the 1/4 window did you remove the old channel that went on the glass  or added silicone to what was there 

thanks for the help

when you used the silicone in the 1/4 window did you remove the old channel that went on the glass  or added silicone to what was there 

thanks for the help
The thin rubber weatherstrip was too damaged for me to reuse. I just use silicone and let it dry. I thought about using plumbers tape to replace the rubber weatherstrip because it is similar, but did not in the end.

thanks for the help
The thin rubber weatherstrip was too damaged for me to reuse. I just use silicone and let it dry. I thought about using plumbers tape to replace the rubber weatherstrip because it is similar, but did not in the end.
thank you !

Back