door pull fitment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I'm in the process of transferring old door pieces to new repro door panels. The issue I am having is the fitment of the door pull. I've managed to get the bottom 2 holes of the pull / bracket positioned somewhat OK and things line up but the top of the door pull is creating an issue. It doesnt seem to be fitting flat enough.

Is not being flush with the panel the best that can be expected or has someone found any tricks to make it fit better? I thought maybe using a dremel and trimming the handle a little so it fits in the area better??

This is a picture from a previous post(not my car) but the fitment on my car is about the same.

Ideas / suggestions...

Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170713/d07976a569fed9e3b67cdbf76c46c85f.png[/img]

SteveO,

I had the same difficulty with the fitment of my oem door pulls with the replacement door panels. I used a belt sander to remove material on the handle until I was satisfied with the fit. So, yes you could use a dremel tool, it just may take a little longer.

Thanks, Jay

Interesting topic! I just bought some original handles myself. Which brand of reproduction door panels did you buy? I still have to buy these as well. Maybe it is the brand of panels that cause this issue. I thought the issue were the repro handles that didn't fit properly but since you have the original handles it must be the panels...

Interesting topic! I just bought some original handles myself. Which brand of reproduction door panels did you buy? I still have to buy these as well. Maybe it is the brand of panels that cause this issue. I thought the issue were the repro handles that didn't fit properly but since you have the original handles it must be the panels...
JD,

I bought the "Mustang Market" brand due to availability, I had them in 2 days and price. TMI also has a revised, improved panels for a substantial cost difference. I was not fully satisfied with the figment, but it is acceptable, I guess. I wish there was more reviews on the new TMI panels and if favorable, I would have spent the add'l cash for sure....

Thanks,Jay

I had the same problem with mustang market panels. I tweaked them over and over and took off material to try to do the best I could but they're still not great. I guess it's the cost of aftermarket but as a whole the car looks really good and I don't think people notice that closely

I also have the Mustang Market panels. Dont know if there is really much difference between their $305 panels vs $600-$700 TMI panels. The color/grain/padding on the MM ones is good so I dont really know how much better the TMI ones can be if at all. On the TMI ones, you would still have to cut the handle cup out as well as drilling holes for the door pull.

You would think for that TMI price that it would be take parts off the old panel and transfer to new, pop the door on and be done in half an hour. But, somehow I doubt that!

I have an old set of repop panels that have been on the car for 15+ years. I was not satisfied with the fit of the pulls either. What I ended up doing is forming a pair of sheet metal pieces that fit into the panel at the top and provide some support for the screw to pull the panel to the pull. It works better than just the screw and a washer.

JD,

I bought the "Mustang Market" brand due to availability, I had them in 2 days and price. TMI also has a revised, improved panels for a substantial cost difference. I was not fully satisfied with the figment, but it is acceptable, I guess. I wish there was more reviews on the new TMI panels and if favorable, I would have spent the add'l cash for sure....

Thanks,Jay
Mustang Market is the brand I was planning to buy as well! I wonder what TMI has changed/ improved to justify the massive price difference. The Mustang market panels look nice in the photo’s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back