Jump to content

Stiffeners for 1973 Mustang Convertible

Recommended Posts

I own a 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C V8 2V, aspirated by an Edelbrock 4 barrel and a fairly typical 13" air cleaner.


As I'm not a wrencher and I'm brand new to this, I don't always notice the things missing, particularly under the hood. This weekend I was over at my aunt's house and she has a '73 convertible as well. Looking under the hood, I noticed 2 stiffeners that connect to the top of the shock towers and then back toward the centerline above the firewall. I looked in my '73 and sure enough I can see the brackets where they mount, but no stiffeners are present.


So my questions are:



  1. Are they actually called "Stiffeners" or are they called something else?
  2. Anybody make drop in after-market versions I can buy?

So far my searches on various sites and ebay haven't yielded anything, but that could be because I'm using the incorrect search terms.


Thanks for your help.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here you go:

They are called Shock Tower Brace

Here's a link but I would get used OEM ones. Also I added sub frame connectors on my vert and it really stiffened thing up.



  • Like 1

- Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are some aftermarket options too but the stock ones work great. That's cool your aunt has a Mustang too!


I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about subframe connectors. Do some searches. If you are not concerned about 100% original then subframe connectors are a great addition to our convertibles. If you click on 'my garage' in my sig you can see a picture of them in the modified tab. There are a couple of different types.

Again, search. And welcome to the forum!


73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)


Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...