Stiffeners for 1973 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocsurfer411

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Previous owner(s) have done cosmetic and other conversions to make it look like a Mach 1, including the Ram Air Hood, Mach 1 graphics and a rebuilt 351C 2V V8 Engine (though it shipped with a 351 2V). Interior has been updated from cream to Blue, and the Top updated from White to Black.

She's pretty, but still needs some work.
[url=https://ibb.co/jfoLT6][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dGjuo6/3_pics.jpg[/img][/url]
I own a 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C V8 2V, aspirated by an Edelbrock 4 barrel and a fairly typical 13" air cleaner.

As I'm not a wrencher and I'm brand new to this, I don't always notice the things missing, particularly under the hood. This weekend I was over at my aunt's house and she has a '73 convertible as well. Looking under the hood, I noticed 2 stiffeners that connect to the top of the shock towers and then back toward the centerline above the firewall. I looked in my '73 and sure enough I can see the brackets where they mount, but no stiffeners are present.

So my questions are:

1. Are they actually called "Stiffeners" or are they called something else?
  2. Anybody make drop in after-market versions I can buy?

So far my searches on various sites and ebay haven't yielded anything, but that could be because I'm using the incorrect search terms.

Thanks for your help.

-J

There are some aftermarket options too but the stock ones work great. That's cool your aunt has a Mustang too!

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about subframe connectors. Do some searches. If you are not concerned about 100% original then subframe connectors are a great addition to our convertibles. If you click on 'my garage' in my sig you can see a picture of them in the modified tab. There are a couple of different types.

Again, search. And welcome to the forum!

Back