Need tactical advice on floor pans and subframe install.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sciabola13

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hey crew! Making progress on my 71 Mach 1. Up next she needs a new pass side floor pan, and I want to add subframe connectors.

My question is, what is best tactical approach? Should I install floor pan and then add subframe connector, or should I cut out rusted floor segments, install subframe and then weld on floor pans over top?

You guys never steer me wrong! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was me, I would do one side at a time. Cut out floor pan, fit the subframe connector, weld it, then fit and weld new floor pan. When you fit the subframe connectors, make sure you are sitting on a flat level surface with car's weight on the suspension. Pretty easy straight forward job. If you do one side at a time you have a minimal chance of anything moving on ya.

If it was me, I would do one side at a time. Cut out floor pan, fit the subframe connector, weld it, then fit and weld new floor pan. When you fit the subframe connectors, make sure you are sitting on a flat level surface with car's weight on the suspension. Pretty easy straight forward job. If you do one side at a time you have a minimal chance of anything moving on ya.

Great advice. I have a 1/2 inch or so sag on the passenger side from a broken spring. It sounds like I should rectify that prior to messing with the pans. The driver side pan is in really good shape, I think it just needs a pass side pan.

377a6e1553ae2e1bfd8b72e9aa1f8c76.jpg

If it was me, I would do one side at a time. Cut out floor pan, fit the subframe connector, weld it, then fit and weld new floor pan.  When you fit the subframe connectors, make sure you are sitting on a flat level surface with car's weight on the suspension. Pretty easy straight forward job. If you do one side at a time you have a minimal chance of anything moving on ya.

Great advice. I have a 1/2 inch or so sag on the passenger side from a broken spring. It sounds like I should rectify that prior to messing with the pans. The driver side pan is in really good shape, I think it just needs a pass side pan.

377a6e1553ae2e1bfd8b72e9aa1f8c76.jpg

Yes definitely fix that spring first. If its sagging in that corner and you install the subframe connectors like that, you may end up with a permanent lean even with a new spring.

Make sure to check the rear curved area of the floor pans. Water accumulates there and will rust it out, just like in mine.

You can see that someone tried to Bondo over it at some point but its moved so much all the bondo broke loose over the separation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would do all repair work prior to installing subframe connectors. Why? Once they are installed, they may cover damage that you didn't see earlier. They are also fairly hard to remove. Do what's necessary first before adding "nice to haves".

I did my floors first then decided to install sub-frame connectors "while I was at it"

Could be a bit easier without the floor in place but if you're making your own connectors I would advise to put your floors in first so you can check your angles before welding

My plan now is to fix front suspension, let her settle in and then tackle the floor pans. Going to take Midlifes advice and wait on subframe. I want to make sure she is straight and level with suspension and floor pans before I weld in subframe.

Great advice. I have a 1/2 inch or so sag on the passenger side from a broken spring.
You could always name the car "Ilean"   lollerz

Sorry, couldn't pass it up after the day I've had.

Great advice. I have a 1/2 inch or so sag on the passenger side from a broken spring.
You could always name the car "Ilean"   lollerz

Sorry, couldn't pass it up after the day I've had.

Dude, it is just one of those weeks!

When i did my floors, i did one side at a time. I installed the Tinman subframe connectors after the floors were finished.

This worked very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

When i did my floors, i did one side at a time. I installed the Tinman subframe connectors after the floors were finished.

This worked very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I think that is my plan!

I did subframe connectors first, then floor. Mine was on a body cart and level in the garage when I did it. Much more room to fit and weld but I'm sure not everyone does it like me. Hahaha
Hey John, You should post pics of your entire build on the Individual Build Project Forum. What a fantastic job restoring that Grabber green 71 Mach. Can wait to see it done. Still targeting the spring?

It's Grabber Green?? I want one!!

All I'll likely ever own is this model............ unless someone offers me a boat load of money for my '71 Light Pewter Mach1!

I get so jealous when I see how detailed you guys get with your metal/body work. Unfortunately I don't have the space or resources to take my build to that level. You guys are so meticulous and your results are fantastic!! Keep up the good work. these beautiful old cars deserve to be brought back to life!! Maybe someday I will find the time, money, and skills to do the same!!!

Make sure you rebuild the door hinges and line up the doors and fenders before you do the floors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back