Drone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Just bought a drone, arrived yesterday (12-02-17).

Any drone users in the forum?

Bought the DJI Phantom 3 standard *refurbished* as

I heard it is a good drone to learn with and inexpensive.

mike

mike
I've looked at them a few times but I have been scared to pull the trigger as I keep thinking back to the RC airplane I had when I was a kid...spent 2 months building it out of balsa wood and ended up crashing 5 seconds after it's first takeoff, LOL!  It wasn't pretty!

mike
I've looked at them a few times but I have been scared to pull the trigger as I keep thinking back to the RC airplane I had when I was a kid...spent 2 months building it out of balsa wood and ended up crashing 5 seconds after it's first takeoff, LOL!  It wasn't pretty!
Only way to crash this is to turn off the power and that takes some effort.

If the drone looses contact with the controller it simply returns to where it started.

It is all GPS and compass controlled.

mike

mike
Ha. I'm in the same boat!!

Been there and done that one, too. And, I'm a pilot, pretty humiliating...

I built my own about 4 years ago. It was very basic and manual. It was fun to fly with the remote. Those new ones dont require much skills to fly. Just tell them were to go and thats it.

I flew mine for over a year to learn the manual controls. After that i got bored of it and now fly it very seldom. I still had a lot to learn. I would like to do spins and acrobatics. It takes a lot of time to fully control those tricks. The Mustang took over as my hobbie so not enough time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My other hobby is R/C airplanes, been flying since '84. Have bought a couple of the cheaper multirotors and fly them around the yard or at the club field. Recently bought an FPV racer for our club Xmas party, not sure if it'll go to the party or stay with me...

FWIW, the technology is not infallible, so don't fly it where you can put other people at risk, or freak them out. Lots of bad press from irresponsible drone users making the RC hobby a PITA at times.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

...and a good safety code to live by...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

With a handle of rcadd1ct......

Stuff is more telling where to go. You are not flying them....at least not the camera ships.

Want to sweat it out? Try a scale heli. My six foot long airwolf was a knee knocker every time I flew it.

Well, learned a few things. First, they are not that easy to fly especially if you

are a newbie like me. My mechanic wanted to take it out of the box and go

flying. I suggested we first read the directions, I know, spoil sport. After watching

youtube and DJI videos for a couple hours we called it a day. It has a return to

home feature if you loose contact but has no collision avoidance system like

the more expensive ones so you don't want to fly around trees or buildings.

It climbs at 15 feet per second so you can loose sight pretty quickly although it

is equipped with navigation lights. When you first launch it climbs to 5 feet and hovers

waiting for you to make your next mistake. Still don't know what the two 3 position

silver toggle switches are for. It can be flown using the included controller or a cell

phone or similar Android device. This gives you the HUD and all telemetry; speed,

altitude, heading, temperature, barometer and a few other things. Before you start

it is recommended you download the latest firmware upgrade, calibrate the compass,

IMU and camera. Keep you posted.

mike

Well, learned a few things.  First, they are not that easy to fly especially if you

are a newbie like me.  My mechanic wanted to take it out of the box and go

flying.  I suggested we first read the directions, I know, spoil sport.  After watching

youtube and DJI videos for a couple hours we called it a day.  It has a return to

home feature if you loose contact but has no collision avoidance system like

the more expensive ones so you don't want to fly around trees or buildings.

It climbs at 15 feet per second so you can loose sight pretty quickly although it

is equipped with navigation lights.  When you first launch it climbs to 5 feet and hovers

waiting for you to make your next mistake.  Still don't know what the two 3 position

silver toggle switches are for.  It can be flown using the included controller or a cell

phone or similar Android device.  This gives you the HUD and all telemetry; speed,

altitude, heading, temperature, barometer and a few other things.  Before you start

it is recommended you download the latest firmware upgrade, calibrate the compass,

IMU and camera.  Keep you posted.

mike
Find a local hobby shop and try a real flight simulator. It will let you crash and then reset to get the muscle memory without the fear of extra cost.

Latest posts

Back