Chrome Dash Trim restore

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I know this subject has probably been beat to death but I cant find anything when I do a search.  How to you restore the chipped\yellowed chrome trim on the dash.  I tried chrome paint but that looked like complete crap!!!  

Help!

Thanks

Wade

I went on line and Googled "how to re chrome plastic" and quiet a few techniques came up from having the parts professionally re chromed (very expensive) to the new paint processes..

I agree with you that the rattle can chrome paints look terrible.

I'm in the same boat. I have parts that need to be re-chromed and yes those so-called "chrome" paints look like sh*t.

There is a company in Michigan that does re-chroming, or at least that is what it is called. On plastic trim, it is a process called Vacuum Metalizing. The metal is in fact pure aluminum that is vaporized and applied in a vacuum. Don't ask me for the actual process, but in a nut shell, that is what is done. On metal die-cast, it has to be chrome plated, which is a lot more cash. Try Googling Vacuum Orna-Metal or www.vacuumorna-metal.com  I got a quote for the center trim panel to be totally refinished for about 180 bucks, or about the same as a re-pop from NPD etc.

As in my case, there is no original "chrome" around the speedo and idiot lights, I decided to forgo the chrome look and go with all SEM trim black on the 'modified with Bosch gauges' center panel that is yet to be installed. It actually looks quite good. I did a center console as well sans chrome. In my Plain Jane car, it dose not look out of place. I say this because it offers another option if yours is not a concour car.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
All four dash panels (driver, center, passenger and glove box) are reproduced in both wood grain and black camera case finishes. They are not cheap, but they look and fit great. In my opinion, they are worth it to avoid the time and expense of trying to restore your old ones. Note: Your original cut nuts that hold the passenger side panel are too large for the repro panel, so you will need to get new ones in the right size,

Here is my post with pictures after using Vacuumorna-metal. I was VERY happy with discussing my needs with them and the work they did. Came back ready to install and looked great in my opinion.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-plastic-chrome-plating

To rackerm's comment the reproduction ones are available and do work well. After purchasing a full set and looking over the detail of the grain in them I decided to return them and go with the restoration of my panels. I am showing this car concourse so that weighed heavily on my decision as well.

Just thought I'd add that IF  I do ever decide to install the modded center panel, I'll be sending the original piece to VacuumOrna for refinishing as it's the only part of my dash that has "chrome" and I'd like to keep it. Fortunately, the radio bezel is good and not in need of restoring.

i'm not far off this part of my project and have been looking at different types of "chrome" paint

This one shows some promise but would be interesting if anyone has tried it

i'm not far off this part of my project and have been looking at different types of "chrome" paint

The process looks good for larger pieces, but I suspect that it may be difficult to get a really good finish on the chrome trim strips we're dealing with IMO. A company near me that does this, didn't want to look at it.......... and the owner is a Mustang guy too! Maybe other companies out there are better suited to doing the small stuff.

The process looks good for larger pieces, but I suspect that it may be difficult to get a really good finish on the chrome trim strips we're dealing with IMO. A company near me that does this, didn't want to look at it.......... and the owner is a Mustang guy too! Maybe other companies out there are better suited to doing the small stuff.
You're probably right and seems to be no magic or cheap solution, might just go all black in the end as above photo looks fine

I'm in the same boat. I have parts that need to be re-chromed and yes those so-called "chrome" paints look like sh*t.

There is a company in Michigan that does re-chroming, or at least that is what it is called. On plastic trim, it is a process called Vacuum Metalizing. The metal is in fact pure aluminum that is vaporized and applied in a vacuum. Don't ask me for the actual process, but in a nut shell, that is what is done. On metal die-cast, it has to be chrome plated, which is a lot more cash. Try Googling Vacuum Orna-Metal or www.vacuumorna-metal.com  I got a quote for the center trim panel to be totally refinished for about 180 bucks, or about the same as a re-pop from NPD etc.

As in my case, there is no original "chrome" around the speedo and idiot lights, I decided to forgo the chrome look and go with all SEM trim black on the 'modified with Bosch gauges' center panel that is yet to be installed. It actually looks quite good. I did a center console as well sans chrome. In my Plain Jane car, it dose not look out of place. I say this because it offers another option if yours is not a concour car.

Geoff.
Geoff,

Although my car I guess can be considered a number matching survivor I am not in to the concourse cars.  My car will be a restomod so based on the price of re-chroming I may just do what you did.  Yours looks great!  ::thumb::  

I am planning on following a video on YouTube that shows the install of the VDO gauges since they are a low gloss bezel style that fit in from the front it will probably look better to just leave everything black.

Has anyone tried the carbon fiber insert decal instead of the wood grain?  Links?? Pics?  Mine came with wood grain but it was in awful shape.   I got it off but not without some areas requiring sanding and razor blade assistance.  This left some gouging and difference in the grain of the plastic due to the sanding.  I don't think a replacement wood grain decal would fit the look of the interior especially since I am going with late model Mitsubishi Eclipse leather buckets.

Thanks

Wade

Geoff,

Although my car I guess can be considered a number matching survivor I am not in to the concourse cars.  My car will be a restomod so based on the price of re-chroming I may just do what you did.  Yours looks great!  ::thumb::   

I am planning on following a video on YouTube that shows the install of the VDO gauges since they are a low gloss bezel style that fit in from the front it will probably look better to just leave everything black.

Has anyone tried the carbon fiber insert decal instead of the wood grain?  Links?? Pics?  Mine came with wood grain but it was in awful shape.   I got it off but not without some areas requiring sanding and razor blade assistance.  This left some gouging and difference in the grain of the plastic due to the sanding.  I don't think a replacement wood grain decal would fit the look of the interior especially since I am going with late model Mitsubishi Eclipse leather buckets.

Thanks

Wade
 Wade, thanks for your comments.

The center panel I used was also old. scuffed woodgrain. Let me tell you, it's a bi**h to get off completely and needed a lot of prep work for a good even paint job. It took several hours of cursing to get to what you see. **Detailed prep work is KEY as any imperfection will show up.** I too had to 'duplicate' some areas of the 'noggahide" look. I did this with a fine carbide tip in a Dremel and just sort of bounced it off the surface to get the desired look, which to be honest, could have been better with a bit of practice. From a distance it looks okay.

I did look at recovering the surface. I went to a local graphics shop where they do wraps and yes they could do the "carbon fiber" look, but not cheaply. You could likely buy a piece and do it yourself if you have that ability. In a resto-mod, it would look sharp especially if you do other areas to match it, like the center console.

Hope you post up some pics when it all done.

Geoff.

I'm actually thinking about getting one of these kits to try it out.

https://www.mydipkit.com/
 Jason, now, THAT is interesting. Where did you find out about that process. Again, it might be too difficult for the thin strips of chrome, but may offer a good result on other areas. I had never heard about the process, but then I live in Canada where we often seem to be way behind in finding new innovations.

Nice find and great info,

Geoff.

It is pretty popular around here. There are a couple of shops doing it. They charge quite a bit though, hence why I am thinking about trying one of these kits out. I know for the chrome strips there is a release agent you can put on parts you do not want the film to stick to. IE you would have to coat the entire panel with release agent except for where you want the chrome. Would be a PITA but doable.

Back