polyester primer filler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 302 Auto RHD
Would like to know if anyone has experience with using polyester primers such as Slick Sand for example

Differing opinions on using this versus 2K high build(I'll prolly use both) and on an old post Greg (Austin Vert) mentioned don't use it but why?

I'm just finishing up some repair work and due to my lack of experience and time I like the idea of the poly primer prior to blocking

The pros seem to be in lack of shrinkage and getting a lot of material on with the cons being getting it on quickly, buying another spray gun and getting it cleaned up before it starts to harden.

Seems many restoration body shops love this stuff but would like to hear anyone's experiences with it

Cheers Mick

I used MarHyde 2K filler primer on my '71. Worked great with no issues, easy to sand and easy to spray. Bodywork is 15 years old and zero issues.

Thanks Hemikiller, had a look at the Mar Hyde but looks like a urethane high build but I'm looking at polyester primer fillers which are pretty much spray on Bondo

Perhaps Greg will chime in as interested in what are the problems with it vs urethane

Thanks Hemikiller, had a look at the Mar Hyde but looks like a urethane high build but I'm looking at polyester primer fillers which are pretty much spray on Bondo

Perhaps Greg will chime in as interested in what are the problems with it vs urethane

best image hosting free

Hi, i've used slick sand many times over the years it is a great product, I had "tons" of  it on my daily driver black 86 gt. that never spent a day inside, 5+ years in fla. sun with no issues.I usually put it over 16+ hr old axalta (dupont) epoxy. then finish it off with a couple nice smooth coats of hb body  360 2k primer. some high end resto shops owned by friends also use the same system.  you can find an inexpensive 2.2 or larger gun. mix it carefully. never mix your 2nd coat with more mekp than the coat under it. do not use it on top of etch primer. I have now switched to evercoat 4:1 super build polyester, more fill, more forgiving to mix, they say dtm i'm still not comfortable with that other than cut through areas.you can go to evercoats website and look at the tech sheets. start off with a small batch, maybe hit the spots you know are low first. then crank the tunes and go to town blocking!

Thanks Keith, very informative

Yes I've got a cheapo gun I can hopefully convert to 2.5 for about $10

Not sure if I can buy the Evercoat locally and what i have seen is about $200 for 2.5 Lt which won't go far

I can get a Wurth product for about $45 for 1.5 kg tin which is far more cost effective

Haven't had any problems with Wurth products yet so might give it a shot at that price

Thanks Keith, very informative

Yes I've got a cheapo gun I can hopefully convert to 2.5 for about $10

Not sure if I can buy the Evercoat locally and what i have seen is about $200 for 2.5 Lt which won't go far

I can get a Wurth product for about $45 for 1.5 kg tin which is far more cost effective

Haven't had any problems with Wurth products yet so might give it a shot at that price
worth does have good products. i would think most polyester primers are of decent quality. look for 5+ mil per coat. another option is go old school and skim panels and block them then prime and block and prime and block...... it may be worth looking for an hb body distributor I'm pretty sure they have one. really good products at good price made in greece. try hbbody.com

Evercoat 4:1 super build is what I used. Great product. Easy to spray and more importantly for me was how easy it was to sand. I went to 220grit before I changed over to ppg 2k. Then I blocked 400grit. Laser straight panels.

Evercoat 4:1 super build is what I used. Great product. Easy to spray and more importantly for me was how easy it was to sand. I went to 220grit before I changed over to ppg 2k. Then I blocked 400grit. Laser straight panels.
Thanks John but can't seem to get the Evercoat Poly primers over here - we're a bit off the beaten track over here!

Might just go with the Wurth product as it is easy to get plus I get 40% off

Back