Hello from Georgia

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Hello, new member to this forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. Lot's of great information and knowledgeable members here and I hope to be one of them.  Little about me, I retired last year from the Army (27 years active duty) and got me a job working for a cyber security company.  Lot's of technical things going on so I realized that I needed a new hobby. I have had a 69, 71 and 73 Mach 1's when I was younger and hate that I didn't find a way to keep them. I found a 1973 Mach 1 that I will need to replace the floor pans, trunk floor and a few other things. Really looking forward to working on restoring this one as I have plenty experience working on cars and have restored a few old motorcycles. At this time, there is no engine or trans in the vehicle but I am good with that so I can focus on getting rid of the rust. I did see something in the engine bay that I was not familiar with and wanted to know if anyone else has seen this. There is a bar on both sides, welded to the shock towers with a bracket on the bar like it was meant to attach to something. Anyone know what these are for? Thanks for all replies and future advice. Pics of the car to come.

Tom

Welcome from Australia

Looks like you have a big project on your hands

As for the bar in the photo never seen it before, perhaps a homemade strengthening device?

Perhaps someone else has seen it before

Hello from Mississippi. We like "lurkers", especially when they like what they see and decide to stay. Glad you were able to find a project car and get back into the Mustang world.

Your Mach 1 did not leave the Dearborn assembly plant with the bars as in your photo. Since that appears be be the left front inner fender apron, there would normally be a windshield washer reservoir in that area. Would be interesting to find a previous owner that could offer some insight into those bars. If these cars could only talk. Then again we may not want to hear what they have to say!

Welcome to your new Mustang home.

Welcome from W. TN. As indicated by the others didn't come from the factory and I also wood suspect this is a homemade attempt at some frame stiffening. May have been a front plate motor mount if the car shows other aspects of being raced.

Thanks all for the welcome a replies. There is an identical bar on the right side as well, thinking it may be some sort of engine reinforcement bracket but not sure. I will take a look to see if it has any other additional "extras" anywhere and let you all know. Thanks and more to follow.

Tom

Back