Trickflow heads on 351c with flat pistons

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys :)

Il consider all options, Il be back with what I choosed.

Why?

Not arguing, just curious as I was looking at TF
CHI & AFD were the innovators of aluminum Cleveland heads, and are used by most, if not all, of the Cleveland builders in the US. Trick Flow, since being bought by Summit Racing/ Atech, tends to be a follower of trends at a comfy price point. 

I'm not saying the TF heads are good or bad,  but if I was going to spend my money on a set of heads, I'd rather support the company that actually did the R&D work, not the guy looking over their shoulder.

Why?

Not arguing, just curious as I was looking at TF
CHI & AFD were the innovators of aluminum Cleveland heads, and are used by most, if not all, of the Cleveland builders in the US. Trick Flow, since being bought by Summit Racing/ Atech, tends to be a follower of trends at a comfy price point. 

I'm not saying the TF heads are good or bad,  but if I was going to spend my money on a set of heads, I'd rather support the company that actually did the R&D work, not the guy looking over their shoulder.

Cool.  Reason I was looking at them was that they had various chamber and port volumes.

good to know I might look deeper.

Just adding this to your research library: I'm running TFS heads on my 408 stroked Cleveland:

Trick Flow PowerPort 190 Aluminum Heads- 195cc intake port/112cc exhaust port (TFS-5161B620-C00), combustion chamber volume- 62cc- profiled. Surface & port match heads to intake. (Edelbrock Air Gap) Ductile iron exhaust valve seats, Manley valves (Intake- #11324-8, Exhaust #11555-8) & spring cups (#42402-16), Comp Cams springs (#930-16), retainers (#741-16)& locks (#611-16), head studs (ARP-154-4004), Blue Thunder valve covers (#VC-SB-C)

572.2 HP/599.7 TQ, a little over 6,000 street miles and running strong. It is a beast. The TFS heads are quality pieces but then again I don't tend to follow the herd.

Okay I have to consider shipping and taxes to sweden also. its a lot to take in. Bur comparing to the 2v heads it should be like day and night.

Just adding this to your research library: I'm running TFS heads on my 408 stroked Cleveland:

Trick Flow PowerPort 190 Aluminum Heads- 195cc intake port/112cc exhaust port (TFS-5161B620-C00), combustion chamber volume- 62cc- profiled. Surface & port match heads to intake. (Edelbrock Air Gap) Ductile iron exhaust valve seats, Manley valves (Intake- #11324-8, Exhaust #11555-8) & spring cups (#42402-16), Comp Cams springs (#930-16), retainers (#741-16)& locks (#611-16), head studs (ARP-154-4004), Blue Thunder valve covers (#VC-SB-C)

572.2 HP/599.7 TQ, a little over 6,000 street miles and running strong. It is a beast. The TFS heads are quality pieces but then again I don't tend to follow the herd.

Wow looks great , I wonder how much Power it will make with no stroke ? Could it be the same but in the higher rpm range ?

Call summit/TF and you get someone paid to read part numbers and reference lists. I called CHI told them the parts I intended to use and they talked to me about what would work better and how they could help. Nice insight since the person you talk to is more than likely going to make your heads. Was also 10+ years ago I had CHI make my heads so they might have gotten bigger :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just adding this to your research library:  I'm running TFS heads on my 408 stroked Cleveland:

Trick Flow PowerPort 190 Aluminum Heads-  195cc intake port/112cc exhaust port (TFS-5161B620-C00), combustion chamber volume- 62cc- profiled. Surface & port match heads to intake. (Edelbrock Air Gap)  Ductile iron exhaust valve seats, Manley valves (Intake- #11324-8, Exhaust #11555-8) & spring cups (#42402-16), Comp Cams springs (#930-16), retainers (#741-16)& locks (#611-16), head studs (ARP-154-4004), Blue Thunder valve covers (#VC-SB-C)

572.2 HP/599.7 TQ, a little over 6,000  street miles and running strong. It is a beast. The TFS heads are quality pieces but then again I don't tend to follow the herd.

Wow looks great , I wonder how much Power it will make with no stroke ? Could it be the same but in the higher rpm range ?
...those #'s were @ 5900 & 4200 rpm respectively. I doubt you'll be revving higher than that. You won't get that power without the increased displacement of the 408 cubic inches. Remember, you'll lose approximately 25% of those big #'s through your drivetrain by the time your tires are applying that HP & TQ to the pavement. Those #'s were on the engine dyno. On the chassis dyno that translated to 432/456 which would be your "to the rear wheels" #'s.

My point was that when I did my research, I can to the conclusion/decision, for my needs (street car, driving the kids to soccer games, just having fun around town & never at the track (but I could if I wanted to)...those TFS heads were a good decision. I had the 4V heads which needed a major overhaul, which would have costed more than half of what the new 2V TFS heads cost, and the 2V TFS heads were much more streetable. (power where you really want it and will use it.)

Alot to decide and alot of different opinions out there. This is one of the correct ways to build it, trust me.

Just adding this to your research library:  I'm running TFS heads on my 408 stroked Cleveland:

Trick Flow PowerPort 190 Aluminum Heads-  195cc intake port/112cc exhaust port (TFS-5161B620-C00), combustion chamber volume- 62cc- profiled. Surface & port match heads to intake. (Edelbrock Air Gap)  Ductile iron exhaust valve seats, Manley valves (Intake- #11324-8, Exhaust #11555-8) & spring cups (#42402-16), Comp Cams springs (#930-16), retainers (#741-16)& locks (#611-16), head studs (ARP-154-4004), Blue Thunder valve covers (#VC-SB-C)

572.2 HP/599.7 TQ, a little over 6,000  street miles and running strong. It is a beast. The TFS heads are quality pieces but then again I don't tend to follow the herd.

...those #'s were @ 5900 & 4200 rpm respectively. I doubt you'll be revving higher than that. You won't get that power without the increased displacement of the 408 cubic inches. Remember, you'll lose approximately 25% of those big #'s through your drivetrain by the time your tires are applying that HP & TQ to the pavement. Those #'s were on the engine dyno. On the chassis dyno that translated to 432/456 which would be your "to the rear wheels" #'s.

My point was that when I did my research, I can to the conclusion/decision, for my needs (street car, driving the kids to soccer games, just having fun around town & never at the track (but I could if I wanted to)...those TFS heads were a good decision. I had the 4V heads which needed a major overhaul, which would have costed more than half of what the new 2V TFS heads cost, and the 2V TFS heads were much more streetable. (power where you really want it and will use it.)

Alot to decide and alot of different opinions out there. This is one of the correct ways to build it, trust me.
Those are sick numbers man. Love the torque! 

The only thing that disappoints me about the TFS Clevo's is the price. I have a set of 190 11R CNCs for a Windsor and they are an art form. With the CNC porting and premium valves, springs and hardware, TFS brought them in at $1,600 and they flow close to TFS 225 Cleveland heads. Had they offered the Cleveland's at a price reasonably close to the 11r's, I would have built a Clevor for my Maverick instead of a Windsor. 

The economies of scale, or the lack thereof, kill us here in the US when it comes to the Cleveland stuff.

After a lot of back and forth I contacted CHI and they are gonna make my a 65cc 190 head. That will make a good compression that matches my Cam and the rest of the setup. I choosed full asembled heads stage1. More info will come as soon as they arrive.

Regards Rob

One thing that can get someone in trouble when choosing heads is the intake manifold. There are some really great flowing Cleveland and Yates type (no canted valves) heads out there, but the available intake manifolds may be too tall to fit under the 71/73 hood with an air cleaner installed. The situation gets worse when the factory ram air is retained. It is therefore important to see how much clearance you have to work with and factor that in with the head and intake choice.

Ditto for the exhaust. Will your current headers bolt up to a raised exhaust port without the pipes coming in contact with the chassis or something else? Are the exhaust ports being obstructed by a 40+ year old header design, as is the case with the current crop of high flowing Windsor heads? 

Just sayin'...

Back