Found a unicorn today!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to "Mustang by the numbers" by Kevin Marti, 2180 Mustangs got Ram Air hoods in '72. I had heard previously that only the 351-2V got it because of emissions, but the book has a comment that it includes 351-2V and 4V.

Steve

I've also found unproven suggestions that a few very early 4v Ram Air 1972 cars were produced. The car guy in me wants it to be true but, I'll take the facts over the "truth" everytime. (Truth is a philosophical notion, facts are only that.) Chuck

Not sure about an exact date range Ray. I know we had tried to pin down a date range concerning the chrome air cleaner lid decal change from "CJ" to "351 4Bl". Trying to come up with a "Before and After" for the 72 4Bl Ram Air is even more of a challenge. Compounding the problem is the fact that you had Torino/Montego's also using the Q code engine and being built in several plants along with the Mustangs and Cougars. So when Ford deemed a change to take place on a certain date,  it didn't always happen all at once at the plants.                                                                                                                                    I found that out when I ordered my first ever new car, a "Q" code 72 Gran Torino Sport. I specified  all the performance items I wanted along with Ram Air which was still in their order guide. Ford received the order 4/18/72 and she was built 5/12/72. I got a call 5/18/72 that it had just arrived at the dealer. Ray probably remembers me posting that I almost got removed from the dealer for showing my A$$ when I discovered that the Ram Air was not on the car. There were several people I knew that had Ram Air on their 72 Q Torinos, where was mine? I was told that Ford had cancelled all the Ram Air options on the "Q" Mustangs and Torinos and offered credits on the retail ordered cars. Only explanation offered was that it was emissions related and had been ordered in error by the dealer since their info was not up to date.

I know they do exist since I've seen the system on 72 Gran Torinos that friends of mine owned. They were more than likely late 71 or very early 72 built cars. I know they had been driving them for a while before I ever decided to pull the trigger and order one in April.

So mwilson7, you get credit for a "Unicorn" sighting! Maybe one day we'll find out just how few 72 Q Ram Air cars actually made it out the door and how rare they actually are!

Back