72 Q Code 4 spd & Air Value

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLO-RIDE

Reaction score
My Car
04 MACH 1 with 10k miles, 100% stock
[url=https://ibb.co/gNb13v][img]https://preview.ibb.co/bTOQVa/100_1218.jpg[/img][/url]
Ok, I'm looking for some feed back from the group that knows more than I do about these Mach 1 Mustangs. I found a 72 Q code, # matching,4 spd. with air that has been restored with a new floor, trunk, interior, and drive train. These are getting hard to find, but so is money. I'm looking for some opinions of its true value. Should I assume the market on these is dropping off just a bit? It seems everything else has dropped a bit if you look at the auction prices in the past few years. Give me your thoughts......and thanks in advance.

:thankyouyellow:

Would need a lot more information to determine a value on that particular car. When say it was restored, what was the quality of the work performed? Was it a concourse restoration? Were the repairs done properly or patched and hidden behind some shiny paint. A 72 Q code 4 speed with AC is a nice vehicle. What other options it had from the factory would also play a part. Do you have any detailed information or pics?

I understand there was bad blood with the restoration guy of the Mach 1 and some current members of this forum. I'm not being judgmental about the restorer, I had talked with him in the past, now I'm dealing with the owner of the restoration shop.The link to the Mach 1 build is below. This may give some more info on the car. Any advice dealing with this past member would be helpful as well. I think the last page of the post shows the Marti report.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-mach-1-project--28938

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!!!! I just spoke to the owner of the business Hunting American Muscle, in Newburgh IN (Mark). And he tells a whole different story about the Mach 1 compared to the restorer (Chris). I was told back in March 2017 it would be $25-30K when done, then the price went to $30-35k, then $37k. I just spoke to Mark and he says $40-45k.........Chris said a month ago the car was painted and looks awesome, Mark just said it goes for paint next month. True shysters......Stay away from "Hunting American Muscle". Just a heads up to those of us that believe that your word, and reputation is still worth something. So, the search goes on..........

OMG!!!!! I just spoke to the owner of the business Hunting American Muscle, in Newburgh IN (Mark). And he tells a whole different story about the Mach 1 compared to the restorer (Chris). I was told back in March 2017 it would be $25-30K when done, then the price went to $30-35k, then $37k. I just spoke to Mark and he says $40-45k.........Chris said a month ago the car was painted and looks awesome, Mark just said it goes for paint next month. True shysters......Stay away from "Hunting American Muscle". Just a heads up to those of us that believe that your word, and reputation is still worth something. So, the search goes on..........
Well, this is interesting. I am Mark from Hunting American Muscle.  HAM for short. HAM was my idea of merging my love of old cars with being able to rescue a couple of cars here and there and keep the hobby going and sell them off to guys who wanted them.

Brian, the author of the above did inquire about my 1972 Mach 1 back in March. That car was much different now than it was then. I wasn’t sure on how deep I wanted to go into a restoration. I wanted to stay true to the mission of HAM, but the car was in such good shape in most places, that I decided to tear the car down to the sub frame shell and give it the full restoration that I thought it deserved.

During the process of teardown and rebuild there were apparently emails, txt messages and phone calls between Chris, a person whom I contracted to work on my cars, and you.

First off, I will address a known issue. Chris is known on this site. He has posted many pictures about the cars that he is working on.  One of them is my 72 Mach 1. Chris and I would speak frequently about the status of the car and progress, etc. And since this car was one that was destined for sale, we spoke about the 72 Fastback market a lot and what might be a selling price for the car when it is finished.

Both Chris and I would hunt down parts for various projects on almost a daily basis. Chris did find some parts from a member of this site that I needed for my Mach 1. I said lets go ahead and get them. I paid Chris for the parts and they were shipped to him, but he never paid the seller. He was reprimanded on this site, and rightly so. After I found out about the renege, I started the research to find out who the seller was. I contacted the admin’s. The admins knew about the deal gone badly because they banned Chris, but I did not hear from them, so I found the seller myself. After I contacted him, I paid for my parts. Again. This satisfied the seller.

I am certainly guilty of some bad judgement in letting other people handle my affairs. I am also guilty of letting people speak of my projects in ways that I only should be, mainly financially. I am a trusting person. Clearly, to a fault.

If the information that you received from Chris was false, or misleading, or a lie, I apologize. What I told you on the phone tonight was the honest truth about the status of the car. Certainly that is my oversight to have not nipped those conversations in the bud.

My 72 Mach 1 is in paint now. I expect my car out in a few weeks, but I do not have a firm date, and frankly I am not sure when my car is going to come out. That is an arrangement between me and my painter. No one else.

Now, having addressed the above issue regarding the bad information that you have received by my contract labor, I want to address the issue that you seem to have with me, regarding the price of MY car. This is my fourth restoration of a classic Ford. The others were a 65 Fastback GT, my brothers 67 GTA Fairlane convertible, a 66 coupe. I am assuming that you haven’t deeply restored a car. Because I would think that if you had, or if not, at least put some thought into, what happens. As time goes on during a restoration, parts are at least and not limited to, being bought, sold, repaired, replaced, refurbished, sandblasted, repainted, replated and re-assembled. All of that takes time and money. Neither time nor money are free.  As my car went through various thought processes about how to best make it the product that I wanted it to be, I decided that MY car would undergo a full resto. A full restoration takes more TIME and MONEY.  It is seems quite clear to me that you are unhappy with the price of MY car going up. So Sorry. I told you on the phone this evening that I want to get as much out of it as I can, and you want to pay as little as you can. And you agreed. Free market, sir. I could ask a million and you may only want to pay one hundred and we wouldn’t make a deal.

So, Brian, exactly what have I “shystered” you out of? A few emails, txt’s and phone calls? Some of them un-true? Yes, and I have apologized, but I don’t think that lives up to shyster. You have not paid me one dime for anything that I own. MY price is MY price for MY car. Regardless of your opinion. If you want the car pay up, or don’t. I don’t care. But shyster? I think not. I am an honest guy in my dealings and yep, made a mistake or two but to take this thoughtless rant from you and you call me a shyster? OMG, I think not.

I will let the chips fall where they may.

Some help on value...this website is much closer to what cars actually sell for than some of the others...

Also, if this is an ALL original car meaning the block/transmission have the original stamped VIN on them matching the car then this is a pretty special car. Note that this car was sold to Ford Marketing and was not built for resale to the public. It was classified as a Sales Vehicle and was likely used by a Ford executive to show and help sell various dealers on ordering more of these cars for their lots. It may also have been used for marketing or photo shoots etc. There are a very few other of these cars on the site that were made for Ford Marketing. I have one and I know rackerm and johnj has one.

OK, maybe I should apologize for using the work "shyster". I'll agree I did not loose a cent to this seller. Maybe it was just that as long as I kept showing interest, the price just kept going up and the stories on the car grew and changed as well. I'm sure it's a nice car. Thanks to those who gave me some feedback on values of these Mustangs. I'm still searching for a nice clean, ready to show Mach 1, from an honest seller with a car that is priced right. Anyone with knowledge of a good Mach, please shoot me a message. 

:thankyouyellow:

Back