Paint "Stripper" (NOT)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I am restoring my '73 Tang and the radiator fan needs to be stripped and repainted.

I bought "Aircraft Stripper" (which says in the fine print not to use on airplanes) and applied as directed.  Results: Negative.

I heated the part: Negative.    Used sand paper to remove surface paint:  Negative   Used M.E.K. to remove surface barriers;  Negative.

Wrapped stripper and fan in paper towel : No   Wrapped in Aluminium foil;  No

As you can see it still has very little effect.

Sanding to base metal is not really an option.

tiny image hosting

Any Ideas?

According to this "Stripper" is is supposed to buckle the old paint and then I scrape it off.   No Way

Ugh !!!

Roy

I am restoring my '73 Tang and the radiator fan needs to be stripped and repainted.

I bought "Aircraft Stripper" (which says in the fine print not to use on airplanes) and applied as directed.  Results: Negative.

I heated the part: Negative.    Used sand paper to remove surface paint:  Negative   Used M.E.K. to remove surface barriers;  Negative.

Wrapped stripper and fan in paper towel : No   Wrapped in Aluminium foil;  No

As you can see it still has very little effect.

Sanding to base metal is not really an option.

tiny image hosting

Any Ideas?

According to this "Stripper" is is supposed to buckle the old paint and then I scrape it off.   No Way

Ugh !!!

Roy
I don't know Roy ...there are things I strip and things I have sandblasted.    FANS are something I have sandblasted as you will never get the jelled up paint off all the rivets and seams IMO.

In using aircraft striper I've found you have to apply many coats AND be removing BEFORE the last coat dries too much.   It works on certain paints on certain surfaces great ...not so much on others.

Mark

P.S.  I wouldn't be suprised if FANS were painted and baked!

Is it possible that someone powdercoated your fan?

powder coating would hold like that, but blast that thing, any good paint shop can do it for you. less its powder coated then polish it and call it good.

That sounds like powder coating.

Personally I have had good luck with the POR15 brand gel stripper. Other thing that works if it is rusty is washing soda electrolite with a DC power supply.

Some Powdercoaters will have a chemical bath that will strip powder coating and most anything else. Might be worth your time to call around.

OK, first off this is a FLEX FAN. They are dangerous things unless your car just sits there and looks pretty. I will check with a friend who was an engineer at the factory where these were made, but to be honest, I don't remember if these were painted or powder coated as we did both paint systems. They WERE baked regardless.

BUT as this IS a FLEX FAN DO NOT sandblast it. The blasting could damage the integrity of the spring steel, causing it to break.......... and take your head off. That is fact not fiction!

If I were you my friend, I'd chuck it were it can never  be used again and buy a 4 blade solid fan as on a 71 for instance. If YOUR car is a concours trailer queen, then OK I get it, but a 40+ year old flex fan, I would never trust it at anything above idle and certainly not at high rpms. These are unexploded bombs and you will never know when it's about to blow. They should never have been allowed in the first place. I've seen what happens when a flex fan blade explodes and berries itself in 4" of oak in a test chamber.

If you must repaint it get it professionally chemically dipped if home solutions don't work.

EDIT NOTE: While in the shower, it came to me that the flex fan blades were NOT painted at all, just the spider. Thinking back 40 years is getting tougher by the day!!

I would have think that the fan Helicopter has, HAS been repainted, but the above applies. I've not heard back from my engineer buddy who, while not working in the FAN department, has better knowledge of the production methods. I'll update when I hear form him.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, first off this is a FLEX FAN. They are dangerous things unless your car just sits there and looks pretty. I will check with a friend who was an engineer at the factory where these were made, but to be honest, I don't remember if these were painted or powder coated as we did both paint systems. They WERE baked regardless.

BUT as this IS a FLEX FAN DO NOT sandblast it. The blasting could damage the integrity of the spring steel, causing it to break.......... and take your head off. That is fact not fiction!

If I were you my friend, I'd chuck it were it can never  be used again and buy a 4 blade solid fan as on a 71 for instance. If YOUR car is a concours trailer queen, then OK I get it, but a 40+ year old flex fan, I would never trust it at anything above idle and certainly not at high rpms. These are unexploded bombs and you will never know when it's about to blow. They should never have been allowed in the first place. I've seen what happens when a flex fan blade explodes and berries itself in 4" of oak in a test chamber.

If you must repaint it get it professionally chemically dipped if home solutions don't work.
Is the typical 73 fan one of these "flex fans" ?  Can I tell by just looking at it ? I never even gave any thought to this being a liability.

Is the typical 73 fan one of these "flex fans" ?  Can I tell by just looking at it ? I never even gave any thought to this being a liability.
 I'm not sure what years they were on mustangs, but possibly. The fan Helicopter is showing is a 5 blade flex fan. It has flexible blade riveted on to the "spider" as can be seem.

I'm amending my above post.

EDIT NOTE: While in the shower, it came to me that the flex fan blades were NOT painted at all, just the spider. Thinking back 40 years is getting tougher by the day!!

I would have think that the fan Helicopter has, HAS been repainted, but the above applies. I've not heard back from my engineer buddy who, while not working in the FAN department, has better knowledge of the production methods. I'll update when I hear form him.
Excellent !!!    You know your stuff.   Yes, maybe I should consider a '71 fan.  TNX

Helicopter, hope you had a Merry Christmas and look forward to a safe Happy New Year and another great year here!

I'm going to post a link to a thread from August where we discussed the flex fans. Please read the entire thread. It contains a lot of info on the original numbers, the defective replacement numbers, and what replacements were safe to use. Unless your car is going to be a "Show Queen", I would even consider a fan/clutch set up which was also discussed. I would be concerned about doing much in the way of "Maintenance" on these flex fan blades. As Geoff stated the blades must be treated carefully so as not to alter their balance, the integrity of the blade material or the critical area where they attach to the hub. I'm presently out of town for the Christmas Holidays until January 3rd so I don't have access to any of my Ford reference material, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.  

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-correct-fan-blade-for-1973-351c-4v

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent !!!    You know your stuff.   Yes, maybe I should consider a '71 fan.  TNX
 I just got an email from my buddy and he confirmed that flex fan blades were NOT painted. If someone did paint or powder coat your fan, it will have made it a possible time bomb. CHUCK IT as far as you can throw it, better yet cut it up. Please do not be tempted to buy one of those cheapo aluminum flex fans either. Do I need to explain why?

Hope that helps and I didn't mean to scare the cr*pp out of you.

Geoff.

So now I'm paranoid about my fan blowing apart going down the interstate and looking for a replacement. Any recommendations for electric fans that are easy fit. I do not have the fan shroud installed.
+1. Does a 71 fan blade bolt right up? or what about aftermarket clutch set ups mentioned earlier? Anyone know of a good source?

Helicopter, hope you had a Merry Christmas and look forward a safe Happy New Year and another great year here!

I'm going to post a link to a thread from August where we discussed the flex fans. Please read the entire thread. It contains a lot of info on the original numbers, the defective replacement numbers, and what replacements were safe to use. Unless your car is going to be a "Show Queen", I would even consider a fan/clutch set up which was also discussed. I would be concerned about doing much in the way of "Maintenance" on these flex fan blades. As Geoff stated the blades must be treated carefully so as not to alter their balance, the integrity of the blade material or the critical area where they attach to the hub. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.  

Glad you posted the link to the time to read AND FOUND THIS TOO ! https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/11/07/Ford-Motor-Co-officials-say-the-automaker-is-recalling/5299342421200/

Helicopter, hope you had a Merry Christmas and look forward a safe Happy New Year and another great year here!

I'm going to post a link to a thread from August where we discussed the flex fans. Please read the entire thread. It contains a lot of info on the original numbers, the defective replacement numbers, and what replacements were safe to use. Unless your car is going to be a "Show Queen", I would even consider a fan/clutch set up which was also discussed. I would be concerned about doing much in the way of "Maintenance" on these flex fan blades. As Geoff stated the blades must be treated carefully so as not to alter their balance, the integrity of the blade material or the critical area where they attach to the hub. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.  

Glad you posted the link to the time to read AND FOUND THIS TOO !   https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/11/07/Ford-Motor-Co-officials-say-the-automaker-is-recalling/5299342421200/
 Mark, glad you found that info. If that doesn't show good reason NEVER to put one of those damn things on your car, nothing will. Yes. it may be correct for your car, but if you don't have a concour trailer queen, why risk it. The link that Steve put up and comments from myself, refer to HARMONICS and that is a critical factor.

I urge ALL members to research this for themselves and beware and be safe.

Glad you posted the link to the time to read AND FOUND THIS TOO !   https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/11/07/Ford-Motor-Co-officials-say-the-automaker-is-recalling/5299342421200/
 Mark, glad you found that info. If that doesn't show good reason NEVER to put one of those damn things on your car, nothing will. Yes. it may be correct for your car, but if you don't have a concour trailer queen, why risk it. The link that Steve put up and comments from myself, refer to HARMONICS and that is a critical factor.

I urge ALL members to research this for themselves and beware and be safe.

I will be very careful - as I did use a D0OA 5 blade on the Boss (date coded for the engine)   GOing to take a look at it - it's funny though I don't drive any of my cars .....I did plan on driving the R code next year.   Maybe while it is being striped I will take apart and get a good look.

Happy New Year

Mark

26f68b58ec36c3809f3faa11d78f75ea.jpg

Well crap... back to being paranoid. This is fan off of my 71 Mach 1, 351C, 2v. I was getting myself too stressed on this restoration and decided to have some fun with fan paint scheme.

I didn’t strip old paint. I gently wet-sanded it with 600 grit under warm water in kitchen sink. Wife was ecstatic! And then I spray painted with super light coats of engine cast coat and ford blue. Inspected all the edges, rivets, hub. Saw no visible signs for concern.

Is this fan ok to use, or what should I do? Humble apologies for hijacking this thread... But this clearly is a major safety concern, and this mustang community is top notch at looking out for each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back