Interior paint /stain

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Spring Edition Coupe
(dressed up as Mach 1) full gauges,
351 Cleveland
Edelbrock Manifold Holley 4 Barrel, Jacobs Ignition system
I want to freshen up my 1971 mustang dash and plastic parts. My color code is 1R (green). Any help in where to fund the correct color paint /stain.

Thanks Tom

I've always had good luck with the SEM paints for vinyl and plastic. I have white interior and the color match seems to be good. I buy mine from NPD but I'm sure other places carry them as well.

Hi Tom, most mustang parts vendors carry aresol cans of interior colors. My local independent axalta bobber will go the extra mile to match these colors in vinyl paint in pt. or Qt. If you can bring in a piece. and leave it with them. Maybe one in your area will do the same. They should also carry cleaner and adhesion promoter ask for the medium gloss level. Its pricey but works very well

I've always had good luck with the SEM paints for vinyl and plastic. I have white interior and the color match seems to be good. I buy mine from NPD but I'm sure other places carry them as well.
Thank you Steve. I bought a can of Stain / Paint from CJ pony Parts that was labeled Dark Green Metallic.  The color appears slightly off and very low gloss. I would like to be able to order the exact color of my interior. I seemed to be having trouble doing that. I will call NPD.

Tom

Hi Tom, most mustang parts vendors carry aresol cans of interior colors. My local independent axalta bobber will go the extra mile to match these colors in vinyl paint in pt. or Qt. If you can bring in a piece. and leave it with them. Maybe one in your area will do the same. They should also carry cleaner and adhesion promoter ask for the medium gloss level. Its pricey but works very well
Thanks Keith. I would prefer the aerosol cans vs a pint/quart of spray paint. But will do either. I need to refresh the console and center gauge holder.  I also bought a new dash pad that was on sale in the ginger color. I need to repaint that the correct color.  I'll try NPD and see if they have it. If not I'll take your recommendation and go to the local auto paint shop. Where I live that is NAPA! 

Tom

Were all the dash and interior plastics painted from factory or were they molded in the color..??

tfowler9... paint the dash pad?? is that a workable solution

So should I wait until I get all my seats and door panels done before getting the interior paint?? Thinking so as to make sure they match..

Were all the dash and interior plastics painted from factory or were they molded in the color..??

So should I wait until I get all my seats and door panels done before getting the interior paint?? Thinking so as to make sure they match..
None of the interior parts that are plastic were painted all molded in color so no metallic. The pieces that have the fake chrome went in the chrome tank and yes they were painted. Around speedo, Center upper dash where the gages are and around the glove box door if it had the fancy trim. The surround around the sifter and clock on long console was painted due to the chrome they had to cover.

The stamped steel main part of the dash was painted. Any metal trim was also painted like above the doors on standard door panel interiors. the parts were not shiny when new there were actually federal specs on glare and such. That is why the inside windshield header on a vert is satin chrome.

David

Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs pid='314473' dateline='1518045727']20180107_091323.jpg

None of the interior parts that are plastic were painted all molded in color so no metallic. The pieces that have the fake chrome went in the chrome tank and yes they were painted. Around speedo, Center upper dash where the gages are and around the glove box door if it had the fancy trim. The surround around the sifter and clock on long console was painted due to the chrome they had to cover.

The stamped steel main part of the dash was painted. Any metal trim was also painted like above the doors on standard door panel interiors. the parts were not shiny when new there were actually federal specs on glare and such. That is why the inside windshield header on a vert is satin chrome.

David
Thanks... Trying to figure out what needs what on my interior.. 

The center dash pod has that "chromey" look.. faded through.. and you are saying my full length console was chromed then painted?.. hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
is there any secret methods to restoring the faux woodgrain parts?.. or maybe oem/repop suppliers for them?

Your best bet for matching the color is to take it to a automotive paint store and get a pint or quart mixed up. Take an interior piece that has an unfaded section for matching. If you don't want to get involved with a spray gun get one of these, they work pretty much like a rattle can. You can also get a pistol grip that makes them much easier to control. You can get them from a variety of places.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-Sprayer-2-Pack-0225/203826736?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|B|0|B-BASE-D24+Paint&mid=Ta6DNse1|dm_mtid_8903vry57826_pcrid_73529847528335_product_203826736

CAM_0080.JPGCAM_0081.JPGCAM_0083.JPGCAM_0085.JPG

David
Thanks... Trying to figure out what needs what on my interior.. 

The center dash pod has that "chromey" look.. faded through.. and you are saying my full length console was chromed then painted?.. hmmm
On the console the piece that holds the clock and goes around the shifter was chrome plated first then masked off and painted. The chrome stuff goes bad and there are posts on the forum for some repairs that can make it look better for sure.

When I mask off the chrome areas before paint I use a rotary scissor to cut the tape to the width I need on a plastic cutting board. It works great can cut tape any width I need. Can get the boards at Wal Mart in sewing area along with the rotary scissor. Search for the chrome restore info on forum. Wash all the pieces many times with hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid. People put ArmorAll on the dash years ago and it has silicone in it and will cause fish eyes in your paint. NEVER use any of the detailing items on your car. Don't have any lubes with silicone in your garage or shop. One night at the local tech school a guy decided to spray ArmorAll on his interior. They were running the beautiful down draft paint booth and the ArmorAll got into the filters. They had to toss them all and steam clean the booth several times to get rid of the fish eye paint issues.

When working with John Deere at their combine factory someone had one of the pink cancer rubber bracelets on and it fell into the wash system for their paint, they contain silicone. They had to dump millions of dollars worth of cleaners, paints and cleaned forever to get the fish eyes gone. Another source for silicone that you never think of is anti antiperspirant. Not deodorant but antiperspirant. Never use it either. Most car companies and John Deere have an approved list for the workers that work in the paint area to use.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back