Swap compressor to sanden ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 351-2v Convertible
1973 351-2v Mach 1
1973 351-4V Q code Mach 1
64.5 Coupe
65 convertible
65 cobra kirkham
I'm going thru my a/c system on my '73 'vert and the system had a very low charge in it. I bought a new receiver dryer and the factory York compressor is in good shape, so I'm cleaning everything up and going to put it back on the car.

But I'm thinking, the old compressors were a huge load on the engine compared to the today version and wondering if anyone has bought one of the universal sanden's and made it fit?

I know there are some kits available, but I'm a do it yourselfer and I've also got my EPA a/c cert., so I know my way around a/c quite well.

Thinking about the universal compressor/clutch combo and then fab a conversion bracket to bolt it to the factory brackets. I have a plasma cutter and mig, so that's not an issue.

Thoughts??

i may be doing something similar i'm not sure yet. i'm having an issue with my compressor and engine stall.

i don't know if my compressor is locking up, i have water in the system or its over pressurized. I'm hoping it doesn't rain this Saturday so i can take it to an expert.

When I had A/C I converted it to Sanden using a kit. The kit is pretty simple, I would just go buy one if I was you and save yourself the time/hassle.

I don't know if it draws less HP. It is smoother and they can handle more RPM (I beleive).

Here is a pic that I happen to have. You can see I routed the line different and the install is a little less 'clean' than the york.

I probably still have the adapter, i can take a look/measurements for ya. Send me a PM

74ca43a89b8c4af29d19899e2e6ba3a3

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had A/C I converted it to Sanden using a kit. The kit is pretty simple, I would just go buy one if I was you and save yourself the time/hassle.

I don't know if it draws less HP. It is smoother and they can handle more RPM (I beleive).

Here is a pic that I happen to have. You can see I routed the line different and the install is a little less 'clean' than the york.

I probably still have the adapter, i can take a look/measurements for ya. Send me a PM

74ca43a89b8c4af29d19899e2e6ba3a3
You can just buy the compressor part of the kit from Classic Air

p4010003_med.jpeg

Back