Exhaust Recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadRacer203

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible with a 302 and AOD
I finally decided something needs to be done about the exhaust in my '71 convertible, and I'm going to replace it front to back. I really just need some advice on where to look for mufflers and things, and what sort of stuff I should be looking for.

It currently has a 2 inch system that leaks a little and rattles against the floor sometimes, just crap. It also drones really bad on the highway between 65 and 85. I'd like to have a little noise, but not too much, like a nice deep rumble, and I really like that raspy sound glasspacks make. I'd also like to eliminate as much of the droning as possible because it really gets annoying on long trips (and I drive it like 10k miles a year). 

On an unrelated note, I just got a cool set of 70's Rocket Racing wheels that I'll put on eventually, but they're the dual bolt pattern style and need those little washer things and I can't figure out what they're called. Anyone know? I need to order some and I need to k ow what to search for.

I think I would talk to your local muffler shop.  The place that makes all the pipes, flanges, and welds things in.  Tell them your story and see what they can do for you.  Do they have a resonator insert to take the drone out?  Can they re-position the mufflers for less upstream resonance?

When I converted mine to duals years ago I went to such a shop in Grain Valley Mo, called Grain Valley Muffler.  The Ford dealership here in Blue Springs MO actually used to use them and still may.  They did an outstanding job for a glass pack, non-rattling, exhaust manifold to tailpipe system cheaper than I could buy the stuff for myself.  All they do is exhaust, and they do it well.

www.grainvalleymuffler.com/

Surely you have something like that near you.

In my restoration I wanted to go as close to factory as I could, so Don at OMS hooked me up with Precision Automotive in Illinois for a duplicate of an NOS system he has as a pattern.

Good Luck, having a big valve V8 on the North side of some 2" diameter 6 foot long organ pipes presents a challenge.

kcmash

Here where I got my exhaust system. It fits well and sounds good. They where good to deal with also.

https://www.precisionexhaust.com/
2nd this... I have bought two systems from them in the last year. I did find that the h-pipe connections required minor tweaking to bolt up to the Exhaust manifolds. No biggie... Well built factory appearing systems at a reasonable price....

Last edited:
Ok, I just sent them an inquiry. I really don't have any good exhaust shops around me that I know of or else I would ask them. About how much were the Precision exhausts, if you don't mind me asking

Ok, I just sent them an inquiry. I really don't have any good exhaust shops around me that I know of or else I would ask them. About how much were the Precision exhausts, if you don't mind me asking
Touch base with Don at OMS. He is on this site and I worked through him initially to get the system. His prices are very reasonable. I am in Canada, so the price I would quote you would not be accurate for someone already in the USA...

I called precision, they seemed really knowledgeable and answered all my questions, and I got a quote of $750. Does that seem reasonable? They said I would need it mostly custom because I'm going to have headers and I have an AOD, and that's with new hangers, and a set of turbo mufflers

I called precision, they seemed really knowledgeable and answered all my questions, and I got a quote of $750. Does that seem reasonable? They said I would need it mostly custom because I'm going to have headers and I have an AOD, and that's with new hangers, and a set of turbo mufflers
I can’t comment too much on the price due to the differences on your application from stock. There must be some extra labour involved in making a system for your car. You may also want to look at a local Exhaust fabricator to compare prices. The Precision materials are very good quality, you just have to decide on the $$$ you want to spend. Good luck.

Here is what I did. I ordered the stock style system and just modified it myself to fit my long tubes.

I think a think a 2 1/4" pipe diameter, h-pipe (a must) and Flowmaster 50 series delta flow mufflers work well on a Cleveland.

Precision said they would recommend something along those lines- 2 1/4" pipe with an h pipe and turbo mufflers. They also said it would have to be mostly custom because on top of the headers, I'm also running an AOD which is quite a bit bigger than the c4.

The headers and the AOD does make installation less straightforward. If you have a good exhaust shop you trust than I would go for it. I have seen some really good custom exhausts and some really awful ones. Having a pipe bender on sight makes it possible to getting every thing just right. Good luck.

Ron

So reading the rest of your story I still think you would face less trouble going to a local muffler shop and having them build it in place, especially if the car is running now.

I suggested the local shop early on, but I have nothing bad to say about precision either.  I actually have a system from Precision on my car now because I wanted as close to OEM as I could.  Every bend, muffler position, floor pan hug, it's all great.

I fear that with the custom element you have to your car, (Headers, AOD)  you may end up with "tweaks" to the system to clear a linkage or a bracket. These tweaks can be handled easily on the fly by a good muffler shop, or by Precision if they have the car there and custom fit each section of pipe.  No as easy if they ae shipping parts to you and receiving picture or email feedback on tweaks.

Just my 2 cents.

kcmash

upload an album

I wish I knew of an exhaust shop near me, but there only seen to be the big chain ones. I've got a really bad custom exhaust on it now and it just rattles against the floor, trans, and the rear shackles

Back