1973 convertible top adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmelnik

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convertible
[url=https://ibb.co/hsLmGG][img]https://preview.ibb.co/jBD6GG/IMG_20170413_191733.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi all... I'm in a final restoration phase on my 73 convertible..

I've an issue with how to adjust to top? When closing the top the piston reach to end but the top is not aligned with the front window bow.. it is missing about 1.5 inch to the end.. see pic.. appreciate some tech how to adjust it?

I've owned 73 verts for 30 years. The roof gap you have is not necessarily an issue. Commonly happens with newly installed roofs. Also in cold weather and having the roof down for an extended time can cause it to be tight and not close fully on its own. You should check the hydraulic fluid just to be sure. I would warm the roof in the mid-day sun for 3 to 4 hours just as it is in the pic as see if it will relax some. You can add a flat weighty object on the top front edge spanning the two front bows to apply pressure and help it relax. Then you can lightly pull down from the center of the front bow to seat the pins and latch it. With windows down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned 73 verts for 30 years. The roof gap you have is not necessarily an issue. Commonly happens with newly installed roofs. Also in cold weather and having the roof down for an extended time can cause it to be tight and not close fully on its own. You should check the hydraulic fluid just to be sure. I would warm the roof in the mid-day sun for 3 to 4 hours just as it is in the pic as see if it will relax some. You can add a flat weighty object on the top front edge spanning the two front bows to apply pressure and help  it relax. Then you can lightly pull down from the center of the front bow to seat the pins and latch it. With windows down.
Thanks! I'll wait for the sun to come... its pretty cold right now... yes its a  new roof, 

the hydrailic fluid in the pump (when roof is open) is not full ,it's almost full, should I add up to the top ?

I've owned 73 verts for 30 years. The roof gap you have is not necessarily an issue. Commonly happens with newly installed roofs. Also in cold weather and having the roof down for an extended time can cause it to be tight and not close fully on its own. You should check the hydraulic fluid just to be sure. I would warm the roof in the mid-day sun for 3 to 4 hours just as it is in the pic as see if it will relax some. You can add a flat weighty object on the top front edge spanning the two front bows to apply pressure and help  it relax. Then you can lightly pull down from the center of the front bow to seat the pins and latch it. With windows down.
Thanks! I'll wait for the sun to come... its pretty cold right now... yes its a  new roof, 

the hydrailic fluid in the pump (when roof is open) is not full ,it's almost full, should I add up to the top ?
The hydraulic shafts should be fully extended. Raise the top and remove the fill hole plug. Fill it to the lower edge of the fill hole with ATF. Insert plug before lowering the top. put the top fully up and down and check the lines for large air gaps (bubbles are okay). Check the fluid level again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back