Tach/gauges conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
I need to have the under dash and under hood wiring harnesses refurbished. I would also like to add after market center gauges and have the idiot light non tach cluster converted to a tach cluster. My car has the idiot light non tach cluster with no center gauges. Any recommendations? Thanks, Ryan

Yup, can do all you want, but will need more details on the signal requirements on the center 3 gauge clusters that you end up using. One thing, though, if you want to keep the stock ammeter, that will require the headlight harness to be converted from standard to tach-configuration. Otherwise, you can keep your standard headlight harness. You might also want to consider hard-wiring your dash cluster: see https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-the-instrument-cluster-be-hard-wired

For a tach conversion, you can't beat Rocketman at www.RCCinnovations.com He also does a conversion for the factory amp meter to volts, but still looks stock.

There are diagrams out there to wire in an aftermarket volt meter. As for oil and temp gauges, you can go mechanical, but you will need to drill a 1" or bigger hole in your firewall to get the  pick-up sensors through. The oil sensor is easier to install, but stay away from the plastic tube supplied and go copper. The water will be more difficult as there is not much room at the front of the engine to get the connectors needed in. I'm in this position, but not yet made up my mind if I want to drill that hole in my mint firewall. Electronic gauges if you can find them would be easier. Midlife can better help on that I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, can do all you want, but will need more details on the signal requirements on the center 3 gauge clusters that you end up using.  One thing, though, if you want to keep the stock ammeter, that will require the headlight harness to be converted from standard to tach-configuration.  Otherwise, you can keep your standard headlight harness.  You might also want to consider hard-wiring your dash cluster: see https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-the-instrument-cluster-be-hard-wired
Your tach cluster conversion, is that the actual tach face in the cluster or is that just the wiring part of it? I'm wanting the tach face to look like the stock one. I didn't know if I need to have rccinnovations do the idiot light cluster to tach clustér conversion and then have you do the wiring harness or if you do the whole thing? Sorry for the delayed reply. Ryan

Yup, can do all you want, but will need more details on the signal requirements on the center 3 gauge clusters that you end up using.  One thing, though, if you want to keep the stock ammeter, that will require the headlight harness to be converted from standard to tach-configuration.  Otherwise, you can keep your standard headlight harness.  You might also want to consider hard-wiring your dash cluster: see https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-the-instrument-cluster-be-hard-wired
Your tach cluster conversion, is that the actual tach face in the cluster or is that just the wiring part of it? I'm wanting the tach face to look like the stock one. I didn't know if I need to have rccinnovations do the idiot light cluster to tach clustér conversion and then have you do the wiring harness or if you do the whole thing? Sorry for the delayed reply. Ryan
Just the wiring part of it.  I assume you have a true tach dash cluster.  If you go to RCCI, I can also deal with his conversion, as the wiring would be the same as the standard dash cluster.  I'll add wires for the tach so that those connections become part of the quick disconnect plugs between underdash and dash cluster.

Just the wiring part of it.  I assume you have a true tach dash cluster.  If you go to RCCI, I can also deal with his conversion, as the wiring would be the same as the standard dash cluster.  I'll add wires for the tach so that those connections become part of the quick disconnect plugs between underdash and dash cluster.
I actually have the standard idiot light cluster, I'm wanting to do the RCCI tach conversion and also add the 3 gauge center cluster. The 3 gauges would be aftermarket because I don't have the factory gauges. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do first, the RCCI and then have you do my wiring harnesses?

Do the RCCI conversion (I know how to handle that), and get your 3 gauge center cluster gauges. I'll need to know how they require wiring before I do work on your underdash harness.

if you wanted OE 3 pack center gauges I've seen at least 2 different sets available lately, NOT cheap by any means but factory correct and at that point you would just need to convert or replace the harness which I'm sure midlife could advise you on.

( I have this image in my head that midlife is a human sized mouse that has made a nest of scavenged copper wires and harnesses that he just works with to help us all out, I dunno why but that's what believe he really is, think the seer mouse in secret of nimh.

if you wanted OE 3 pack center gauges I've seen at least 2 different sets available lately, NOT cheap by any means but factory correct and at that point you would just need to convert or replace the harness which I'm sure midlife could advise you on.

( I have this image in my head that midlife is a human sized mouse that has made a nest of scavenged copper wires and harnesses that he just works with to help us all out, I dunno why but that's what believe he really is, think the seer mouse in secret of nimh.
lollerz  Naw, I'm really the size of a Maine moose but without antlers.  You can call me Bullwinkle, but don't call me late for dinner.

Do the RCCI conversion (I know how to handle that), and get your 3 gauge center cluster gauges.  I'll need to know how they require wiring before I do work on your underdash harness.
Thanks for all the information. I'm in the process of finding some aftermarket electric gauges. When I get all that squared away I'll be getting in contact with you to. Thanks all for the info. Ryan

I have a RCCI tach conversion that I purchased and won’t be using if you’re interested
What is the reason for not using it?

Do the RCCI conversion (I know how to handle that), and get your 3 gauge center cluster gauges.  I'll need to know how they require wiring before I do work on your underdash harness.
Ok, if I have the RCCI tach conversion done with the idiot lights functional also, then you will be able to add the 3 center gauge wiring? Or would it be better to just do the tach conversion without the idiot lights function? I'm really sorry if I'm making this more difficult than it really is? Ryan

You can't have idiot lights and 3 gauge cluster at the same time without having "tees" at the sending unit location. Sending units for idiot lamps and gauges are different. You can have one or the other, but not both.

You can't have idiot lights and 3 gauge cluster at the same time without having "tees" at the sending unit location.  Sending units for idiot lamps and gauges are different.  You can have one or the other, but not both.
Is that because the sending units are idiot? 

lollerz

PS: TGIF

Back