Autolite 2100 Carb help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
When i purchased my Mustang it had a aftermarket Carb fitted. I have replaced the carb with a correct Autolite 2100 carb with the help of a fellow member on this site.

My old carb had the solenoid attached but there was no dashpot. The car worked fine without a dashpot.

Now i have fitted a correct carb i want to fit the correct dashpot. Is this dashpot in the link the correct one for my 1971 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-2100-4100-Series-Carburetor-Dashpot-Bracket-Assembly-1967-Later/272579892289?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Pegleg,

Do you have a shop manual for your car? Everyone who owns one of these 71-73 Mustangs should purchase the complete set. The majority of questions asked on these boards are addressed in the manuals. Moreover, the question of whether or not that is the correct dashpot for your car is likely moot, as what the factory used on most 71s ( certainly on mine ), is what is called an "Idle Stop Solenoid ". It is electrically controlled ( a solenoid ) and when energized, becomes the carb's idle stop, the carb's normal idle stop screw is not touching the throttle arm. When you turn the key off, the solenoid de-energizes and the throttle closes to the mechanical stop screw on the carb. this closed throttle will keep the engine from dieseling, or "running on" as well, should that condition exist. The fly in the ointment is that the Idle Stop Soleniods are getting harder and harder to find new, and good used ones are scarce. Just turning the throttle stop screw to the appropriate rpm setting is all you need to do if you don't have the factory solenoid, and a dashpot is probably un-necessary. If the dashpot helps keep your car from stalling under quick deceleration, go with it, it doesn't hurt a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your car originally came with a dashpot, that is the correct one. If your car has air conditioning it likely came with the throttle positioning solenoid.

Back