Body Cart, Rotisserie, Jack Stands?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang GT
I'm not sure what the best option is for me...  I know what I would really want (a rotisserie) but I don't think I have the room for that.  

So with that being said I'm very interested to see how you all did your restorations.  Did you just use some nice big 6 ton jack stands to get the car up higher?  Did you buy or fabricate a body cart with wheels?  Did you do the rotisserie?  

My car has some pretty rusty suspension components and I really would like to blast the bottom as well to get any rust off before proceeding.  Basically everything needs to come off so I really need to have the car high enough but also need for it to be mobile in case I had to move it out of the garage at some point to blast the whole car.

If you have any pics of your car while being restored showing what you used that would be awesome so I could see what you were working with, how much clearance you had, mobility, etc.

Thanks everyone!

I didn't have room for a rotisserie to hang out all the time either so here is what I did. Stripped the car down and attached it to a rotisserie and got it to a height I liked. Then I welded together a platform that attached to the same points that the suspension would normally attach to with big 5 inch wheels. I mounted it to the car while it was still on the rotisserie and then just let it take the weight and disconnect from the rotisserie. That way I could work underneath it without raising it, move it around and get it out of the way and easily pop it back on to flip it over. Ill make a drawing here for you.

I build a garage with a 7500 pound two arm asymmetric lift.  I also had access to a rotisserie for a few months for painting the undercarriage and engine compartment.  Unfortunately, I made the decision to paint the undercarriage inside the garage and paint got everywhere.  

I would love a garage and I'm working on buying the empty lot next to me but that could take time and a bit of $$$. I will definitely have a lift if I have a garage built. But for now....Lol....maybe jack stands. I think my issue with a rotisserie is not having a deep enough garage. I could get a body cart I suppose or make something like libram did.

where do the body carts connect to on the car? As for jack stands what is the best placement for being up long term?

I considered a rotisserie then realised I don't have enough room

Had to contend with jack stands and borrowed some truck stands to get one side up higher for under body work

If you have the room definitely rotisserie otherwise you will need to be a contortionist or put up with the aches and pains as many others do

Did all of the work on mine on jackstands. Also had a set of car skates to roll the body around when needed.

You could build a body cart and attach it to the front lower control arm bolts and the front eyes for the leaf springs. That'll leave plenty of room to work around.

Had to contend with jack stands and borrowed some truck stands to get one side up higher for under body work

If you have the room definitely rotisserie otherwise you will need to be a contortionist or put up with the aches and pains as many others do
If I use jack stands where are the best places to position them for long term use?  

When you had the one side higher was the other side still on tires?

If I use jack stands where are the best places to position them for long term use?  

When you had the one side higher was the other side still on tires?
Mostly the front stands stay under the chassis rails close to the torque boxes

The rear stands under axle housing or if removed under the rocker panel and you could put a wooden plank under both rocker panels where the jacking notches are and support it from that which I have also done

Now I have sub frame connectors I support the rear end there

When I jacked the side up for the truck stands I had the other side on stands and although not the safest way I only had a body shell pretty much so very little weight.

Another way to get extra height is to put it up on ramps if you have a rolling vehicle

Main thing to consider is where you support it when doing frame work, floors for example if installing sub frame connectors should be on wheels/ramps

Hope that helps

I guess it depends on how old you are now and how old you want to be when finished.  Nothing beats a rotisserie for cleaning the bottom side of your car and getting it coated well.   My project has taken way too long and I kinda dread crawling on the concrete floor.

But that's just my opinion...

kcmash

This is what I used in the front. The dolly setup mounts to the front bumper mounts. This setup also works on other years of mustangs.
I like that...very simple design.  Where did you purchase that or did you fab it yourself?  Do they also make that for the back if you have the rear axle out?

This is what I used in the front. The dolly setup mounts to the front bumper mounts. This setup also works on other years of mustangs.
I like that...very simple design.  Where did you purchase that or did you fab it yourself?  Do they also make that for the back if you have the rear axle out?

Fabbed it myself. I had thoughts for a rear mount to use rear torque box for mounting, but had a spare axle and old springs that were quick and easy.

I have a 4,000 sq. ft. garage but only work in a room too keep the dust off everything else. The room is 26' long 16' wide and used 105" studs. I angled the walls / ceiling to mount the lights and also kill the dead air space in the corners. I got the rotisserie second hand for either $700 or $800. It rolls much easier than with the small diameter wheels and one end pivots so easy to move around and has tongue also. Do not know the brand. I also have a 10,000 lb. two post lift for putting body on and off rotisserie.

I am 69 so rolling around on the floor is not an option I wanted. I worked on them for years with nothing and regret not getting rotis. much sooner.

David

I have a 4,000 sq. ft. garage but only work in a room too keep the dust off everything else. The room is 26' long 16' wide and used 105" studs. I angled the walls / ceiling to mount the lights and also kill the dead air space in the corners. I got the rotisserie second hand for either $700 or $800. It rolls much easier than with the small diameter wheels and one end pivots so easy to move around and has tongue also. Do not know the brand. I also have a 10,000 lb. two post lift for putting body on and off rotisserie.

I am 69 so rolling around on the floor is not an option I wanted. I worked on them for years with nothing and regret not getting rotis. much sooner.

David

Man...I love that rotisserie!  Those big tires are awesome.  How much overall length would you say it was with the car on it?  

I wish I had a big garage but I don't so I'm not sure I'd have room for that.

quick image upload

I did mine on a body cart.  I think it was the best choice for me. I did a one piece floor pan and both full quarters and a roof and the car seemed to sit very rigid on the carts
I think I am going to go the body cart route after all...  Can you tell me what brand cart you used?  Was it easy to put the car on it?

I'm also thinking of installing a winch on my garage floor so that I can roll the car out on the cart in the winter when it's nice down here in Florida.  That way I can work and have more space and then winch it back in when done.  That way I can work on it alone and not need to call someone every time I want to move the car out or back in.

I bought mine from summit racing and it was about 400 bucks. It arrived in raw metal so I painted it corporate ford blue spray can (of course lol). It was easy to put together and getting the car on it was a little tricky but I did mine half at a time( the cart separates in the middle into two halves)

Latest posts

Back