windshield availability?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libram

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
Does anyone know if carlite makes a fastback windshield for a 72? If so do you know who carries it, I'm trying to avoid the PPG that everyone seems to stock.

Since the tinted has the blue shaded top makes it most likely PPG

So the carlite is basically unavailable, Ford is the only authorized carlite dealer and they only go back to 1980 for carlite reference numbers so they don't even know how to order one, they probably don't even make them anymore just still have the part number listed. Happy coincidence though I decided to do a generic search on ebay and there was one, brand new, with the right tag still on it from someone's old stock so FOUND IT! It is indeed carlite and tinted with the dark band on the top and bottom.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1973-Mustang-Cougar-Windshield-Carlite-with-Ford-Logo-Brand-New/132383535950?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and now the bad news, this part is only for coupe and vert, so if you need one it will be relisted by the same seller soon, the mach 1 oem glass is indeed another part number and is not carlite

part number dw00772 GBNPPG Made by Pittsburgh Glass Works.

Last edited by a moderator:
It' s sold. The seller mentioned in the listing description that he had one for a fastback.
yeah I accidently bought that one first by part number, they will relist it soon, then I bought the one for the fastback

National Parts Depot list Carlite windshields, but when I checked, they only listed coup or vert as in stock. Fastback was not listed except a "non-Carlite brand"

I know they used to have Carlite fastback windshields because I almost bought one when I did my car, but could not justify the 600 bucks (Cdn) they wanted for it.

Now, I have written on this before, but be very wary about Chinese junk, (not the boat) windshields. My body and paint guy bought in a local windshield company and it took them 6 (SIX) tries before they got one that fit. The problem was the curve was way off. Either the outside edges touched the A pillars, or just the center. It was a nightmare!! Finally I did get a new windshield installed. I wanted to go with a tinted top, being a shorter guy. Perhaps I should have spent the big bucks!!

Good luck finding what you want.

Geoff.

National Parts Depot list Carlite windshields, but when I checked, they only listed coup or vert as in stock. Fastback was not listed except a "non-Carlite brand"

I know they used to have Carlite fastback windshields because I almost bought one when I did my car, but could not justify the 600 bucks (Cdn) they wanted for it.

Now, I have written on this before, but be very wary about Chinese junk, (not the boat) windshields. My body and paint guy bought in a local windshield company and it took them 6 (SIX) tries before they got one that fit. The problem was the curve was way off. Either the outside edges touched the A pillars, or just the center. It was a nightmare!! Finally I did get a new windshield installed. I wanted to go with a tinted top, being a shorter guy. Perhaps I should have spent the big bucks!!

Geoff.
apprecieate, I got one of the original mach 1 glasses made by Pittsburgh auto glass, I believe it later became PPG, the NPD crappy repro that they don't even stock on the east coast is why I was going through all the trouble. Also if you note the part number I put up earlier it is a carlite part number just not actually made my them, I guess they contracted out or something to Pittsburgh Auto Glass.

Geoff.
apprecieate, I got one of the original mach 1 glasses made by Pittsburgh auto glass, I believe it later became PPG, the NPD crappy repro that they don't even stock on the east coast is why I was going through all the trouble. Also if you note the part number I put up earlier it is a carlite part number just not actually made my them, I guess they contracted out or something to Pittsburgh Auto Glass.
 Okay, I see.

As long as you don't have to go through what I went through, you should be good. I think you're right about crappy repro's, not worth buying, but they still try to sell them. If I ever need to replace my windshield again, I'll definitely go name brand.

I didnt realize they were almost $500.  damn.
yes sir indeed they are and that's actually not a terrible price, if sourced from an autoglass finder these suckers are gonna run you 800 or so plus shipping.

don't use the metro glass. I have a 72 windshield I bought from them and it is in fact chinese made as my glass installer informed me. I have it sitting in my storage area. Pittsburgh glass is also not an option since I also tried them and they don't carry a fastback glass. I've had other poster's on here say the coupe and fastback glass are the same but can't find anything to validate that claim.

I did originally buy a windshield from http://www.psautoglass.com....this guy is located in Wisconsin and used to work for Carlite. He will also etch the date code in the shield if you let him know. Only issue was that the shield had a slight ripple in the lower passenger side of the glass but is hardly noticeable unless you are looking for it. Doesn't affect driving at all. My installer pointed it out to me otherwise I would have never noticed it. I then purchased the Metro glass and they said it was Chinese junk that was different thickness. I eventually had them install the glass I bought from PSA auto. 72 fastback glass is hard to find. I know that I seemed to have gotten the last from them but give them a try, maybe their manufacturer has restocked. BTW this was about 8-9 months ago....

don't use the metro glass. I have a 72 windshield I bought from them and it is in fact chinese made as my glass installer informed me. I have it sitting in my storage area. Pittsburgh glass is also not an option since I also tried them and they don't carry a fastback glass. I've had other poster's on here say the coupe and fastback glass are the same but can't find anything to validate that claim.
I can for sure tell you that coup and fastback glass are NOT the same. When I was going through my ordeal, the glass guys came in with a coup glass, 1 of the 6 they tried. There is a considerable difference in height. If they were the same, we would not need different A pillar trims either.

For us in Canada, this is getting to be a real problem as shipping from the US and a reputable manufacturer/dealer, will get VERY expensive.

just had mine done last weekend. $275 installed.

Back