Long Tube Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotorr22

Reaction score
My Car
No 71/73 yet. Previously owned a 71 Boss 351 and a 73 Mach 1
Who makes the best fitting long tube headers for a 351C 4V/Toploader application?

I have used long tube headers on many cars over the years and have not had one set that didn't hit, rub, chafe or otherwise interfere with something. Hooker, in particular, is notorious for listing a dozen different apps. for a set of headers when in reality, they were designed for one particular car and just happened to fit something else with the assistance of a hammer. 

Appreciate the input.

Hooker Competition headers 6915 for 4V cars, the 2V version is 6921. They fit 71-73 Mustang/Cougar, 70-71 Falcon/Fairlane/ Torino/Ranchero/Cyclone/Montego - because these cars all share the same basic front subframe arrangement.

Only thing they get close to is the pitman arm on the steering box at full lock in IIRC a LH turn and a you may need to trim the pushrod for the clutch fork. Mine were a touch close to the pan on the C-6 in my 70 Torino, but no issues. They won't hit the ground unless your front end is worn out, or you drive like a madman.

These are also the only "budget" header that will work on a 71-73 Mustang/Cougar with a manual trans.

Hooker Competition headers 6915 for 4V cars, the 2V version is 6921. They fit 71-73 Mustang/Cougar, 70-71 Falcon/Fairlane/ Torino/Ranchero/Cyclone/Montego - because these cars all share the same basic front subframe arrangement.

Only thing they get close to is the pitman arm on the steering box at full lock in IIRC a LH turn and a you may need to trim the pushrod for the clutch fork. Mine were a touch close to the pan on the C-6 in my 70 Torino, but no issues. They won't hit the ground unless your front end is worn out, or you drive like a madman.

These are also the only "budget" header that will work on a 71-73 Mustang/Cougar with a manual trans.
My buddy had a set of these on his Grande/351C back in the 70's. They did indeed hang pretty low.  While I'm aware that many Fords share the same basic chassis, there are enough variations between the cars to make a "one size fits all" header impractical.  I've experienced same with the Fox chassis. 

I suppose I'll go back to scouring Summit's "demo" rack in search of a set.

Had the 6915s on four different cars and as far as headers go, I didn't consider them to hang too low. They fit great, didn't leak, went in without a hassle and the only clearancing I did was around the head flanges so I could use a socket to install the bolts. Like I said, The only time I had issues with them bottoming was on cars with worn suspensions and/or when I was driving like a complete a-hole on rough backroads.

I've installed headers on all brands of muscle cars; Pontiac, Chevy, Olds, Mopars and lots of Fords. Pontiacs were a PITA unless you had about 20 different 7/16" wrenches to get 1/4 turn on the bolts at a time. By far the most frustrating was a set of Crites on a 460 in a '67 Fairlane. Every header has it's issues and I always felt that Hedmans were the worst as far as fitment and clearance issues. The 6915s go in easy, D/S from the bottom, P/S from the top. Only easier or better fitting set of headers I've installed was the Shelby tri-Ys on a 302 in my first '73. You could about throw them in from across the garage and they'd almost install themselves.

Just think out loud here as I might, I said might put a set of headers on my 71 351 4V Mach 1. I need a new exhaust anyway. It's good to know that those seem to fit well, but I'm wondering if I/we would be better off with short tube headers if height restrictions are an issue, either from soft suspension or low profile tires or.....

Is there any advantage or disadvantage and do they even make large bore short header for the 4V ports?

Long tube headers scavenge better and help an engine to build more top end power, but the short ones are far easier to install and certainly can add some ground clearance
 Thanks Jeff, good info for us all.

For my car, I'd prefer short as I intend to keep the underside looking somewhat stock from a distance. I've got enough power to get me into trouble as it is, but..............!

Last edited by a moderator:
... nothing sounds quite like a healthy 351C through a set of long tubes and a good exhaust....  :)
 Well for me if I go that route, a good exhaust for sure and without any "DRONE". Damned annoying between 2000 & 2500 rpm!

Hopefully our new friend Rotorr22 will get some benefit from our discussions.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
... nothing sounds quite like a healthy 351C through a set of long tubes and a good exhaust....  :)
 Well for me if I go that route, a good exhaust for sure and without any "DRONE". Damned annoying between 2000 & 2500 rpm!

Geoff.
I actually forgot what my Boss 351 and 73 Mach 1 exhausts looked like. My mind has faded somewhat over the past 40 years when I drove these cars. My Boss had a set of Hookers and a 2.25" press bent system on aft. 

In regards to drone, the ONLY mufflers I have ever seen that eliminate drone are Corsa's. They are made in Berea, Ohio and are somewhat expensive. Corsa uses a patented baffle design different than anything else I've seen. With other systems, you have to tune it out with a resonator.

Geoff.
I actually forgot what my Boss 351 and 73 Mach 1 exhausts looked like. My mind has faded somewhat over the past 40 years when I drove these cars. My Boss had a set of Hookers and a 2.25" press bent system on aft. 

In regards to drone, the ONLY mufflers I have ever seen that eliminate drone are Corsa's. They are made in Berea, Ohio and are somewhat expensive. Corsa uses a patented baffle design different than anything else I've seen. With other systems, you have to tune it out with a resonator.
  The drone thing has been discussed many times before on the forum. There have been many suggestions and solutions offered. I've not heard of the mufflers you mention, so that might be yet another solution worth checking out.......... if they have a tone similar to the Flowmaster 40's I have on my Mach, which everybody seems to like.

Geoff.

I have had a couple guys comment on the headers on my 73 vert 351 C 2-V. They do not hang down low but are long tube. I also have a set that came on the crashed vert that are ceramic coated and it was also a 2-V set up. I do not know the brand of either of them since I bought the car with them installed but they did not hang down low were tucked up nice. The one had a spacer of 1/2" added where the plate goes under the tunnel on the vert to clear the pipe so up inside the tunnel.

Pic of the headers off the crashed car. System was put on two weeks before crash. The mufflers and tubes were Pypes.

I have had a couple guys comment on the headers on my 73 vert 351 C 2-V. They do not hang down low but are long tube. I also have a set that came on the crashed vert that are ceramic coated and it was also a 2-V set up. I do not know the brand of either of them since I bought the car with them installed but they did not hang down low were tucked up nice. The one had a spacer of 1/2" added where the plate goes under the tunnel on the vert to clear the pipe so up inside the tunnel.

Pic of the headers off the crashed car. System was put on two weeks before crash. The mufflers and tubes were Pypes.

Those look like the 6920 Hookers. Kind of surprised they clear the clutch linkage. Had it been modified?

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/headers_and_exhaust_manifolds/all_headers/parts/6920-1HKR

Back