Brake Discrotor upgrade worth it ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Is there any gain in stopping Power upgrading to slotted/drilles rotors with better pads than stock ?

Will the difference be obvious ?

regards Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, but did alot of reading on this subject, and from what I've gathered, the slotting actually decreases stopping power in general type driving. The slots are used to dissipate heat during constant braking E.g. during racing.

I also read that slotted disks wear out pads faster because of the way the pad is constantly going over the edges formed by the slots instead of a nice flat surface.

I am interested what others have to say about this.

Pads can make a big difference on stock rotors. Slotting and drilling reduces the surface area, but improves cooling if you do a lot of hard braking.
Not really that hard braking, its a Daily driver.

A good surface on your rotors and good quality pads will noticeably improve your braking. Any run-out or deviations in the rotor surface reduces braking performance.

With today's brake compounds the slot are not needed for a street car and I think drilled rotors are just asking for hairline cracks everywhere. A good set of aggressive, yet streetable, pads will help with initial bite and feel. If you want to significantly improve braking get better tires, delay lock-up. I've used Performance Friction and Hawk pads with good results on the street, they will dust more than a "ceramic" pad. Chuck

Ocay, So new standard rotors with pro pads should do the trick ? Certainley a cheaper combo I Think, atleast for me in Sweden.

Regards Rob

good pads and nice flat rotors are great for most, slotted and or drilled are really for more of a racing need to cool better and faster. That being said your driving style kind of dictates what would be better for you. I don't go full throttle on acceleration unless I need to or am having fun, I try to give lots of extra room on braking and only slam them on when something happens in front of me I wasn't expecting so good pads and standard rotors work for me. My grandfather on the other hand accelerates like a drag race, and stops a 3000 lb sedan like its a friggin lotus elise and it weighs as much as a carbon fiber motorcycle. He warps slotted and drilled rotors with great pads in less than a year. When you put them on they will ALL stop you faster, its how long they will stop you well that's the real question based on an honest answer to how you drive.

If you want to improve braking beyond what a simple performance pad and tire upgrade will give you then would would need to go with a larger diameter rotor and a caliper upgrade but this will likely require a wheel size change as well.

I installed mine in 2011. I only put a couple thousand miles a year on the car, not a daily driver but I drive it at least 1 time a week to work and weekends. I probably have 10-15,000 miles on those rotors and pads and they are still like new. But like stated above, I give a lot of room to the car in front of me and brake accordingly. After all, mine are non-powered brakes but I do have disc at all 4 corners.

These are very similar to the ones I installed.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-KIT-2-Platinum-Hart-DRILLED-SLOTTED-Front-Disc-Brake-Rotors-1668/132464763247?fits=Year%3A1971%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item1ed783e16f:g:JzQAAOSwJH5aVgNU

I've had good luck with Centric metallic pads recently. I also had good luck with Raybestos pro pads in the past. Centric also makes good quality rotors, but I don't believe they make them for our cars.

Ok thanks, I have 17 inch Wheels with modern tyres so there is space for bigger calipers and rotors. Il see what the Swedish vendors can offer :)

Back