brain dead in classic mustang resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libram

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
Restoring one of these, its slow, tedious, and every time you think you have something worked out there always seems to be one more detail and guess what no one makes it. That's how these suckers roll. You do it long enough and sometimes you catch yourself being brain dead. For instance, I've been working on an off for the last two weeks on stripping/sanding/polishing/getting to a smooth glass finish a pair of drip rail channel moldings that I picked up. I was so proud of just how clean I had gotten the trim and hammered out the dings and crimps I just had to show my buddy. I handed it to him, he looked, said it was really really nice even though I wasn't finished yet. Then pointed out I was polishing drip rail molding, not drip rail channel/roof rail channel. Took me a second to realize it but yup I'd already put new ones on. 

lollerz I'm losing my mind if its not already gone  :shootself:

Be glad it's a early mustang and having arguably the largest reproduction parts count in the world at your disposal. Restore something out of the mainstream and you will quickly realize how easy mustangs are to restore.

wait I'm confused here? The largest reproduction parts available? We are talking about the car that I had to hunt down after two years of searching a friggin rear end trashed cougar to donate its front cowl, have someone in the desert drill out 100+ spot welds ship it and have it welded in 5 years ago.......................... how is this easy? I could have built a model A from the ground up 3 times in what I have in this damn mustang and its what 115 years old?

65-68.... sure, shelbys well duh that's big money, 74 + mustang II they are crap but had good parts that made it into mainstream racing so they're everywhere but 71-73??????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
71-73 parts can be a little challenging to find but in my case it wasn't anything that a little money couldn't take care of :D . I think original A pillar trim and rear fold down plastic is about the hardest to track down, or it was in our situation. This was on a car that needed everything. Have fun with the resto.

Back