Partial Quarter Panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember right, that's same panel that I installed on the 71 I restored last winter. The owner already purchased it and he got most of his parts from CJPP.  It fit pretty good. As with any panel, you will have some hammer and dolly work to do at the front and back edge. I also had to make a relief cut at each end to get the panel to fit properly. Overall the panel was a touch too long. But a couple slices with whiz wheel and smacks of the hammer and it was good to go.

Slice was made at back.

my photo upload on internet

website for uploading photos

image hosting facebook

Outstanding. This gives me a much better picture of the fit and the prep.

Yup. I'll be doing same to mine. I'll also be doing the wheel houses on the drivers side.

It seems strange that the left hand side of my car needs so much more work than the right. I assume both halves of the car saw the same conditions.

I envy those of you who are able to weld like that. Always amazes me to see panels matched up, welded, everything ground down, skim coat of filler, prime, paint, etc. When you look at that fourth image for example, it doesn't seem like there would ever be a smooth transition between the panels. This seems the way to go if the rest of the rear quarter is good. Then you don't need to get into lead work at the roof seam. My car doesn't need anything to be welded, but I have always considered picking up a welder and just playing around with some scrap pieces. Haven't done it since shop class in high school 1980-ish and I was no good back then! Just need to find more time for hobbies- damn work keeps getting in the way. lol

I envy those of you who are able to weld like that.  Always amazes me to see panels matched up, welded, everything ground down, skim coat of filler, prime, paint, etc.  When you look at that fourth image for example, it doesn't seem like there would ever be a smooth transition between the panels.  This seems the way to go if the rest of the rear quarter is good.  Then you don't need to get into lead work at the roof seam.  My car doesn't need anything to be welded, but I have always considered picking up a welder and just playing around with some scrap pieces.  Haven't done it since shop class in high school 1980-ish and I was no good back then!  Just need to find more time for hobbies- damn work keeps getting in the way.  lol
I had not welded since high school shop class either and about three years ago I purchased a used mig welder and dug my dads old arc welder out of the basement and started some random projects. After some practice it came back to me. Welded up a new driveway gate and some stair rails for my back steps. The I purchased the mustang. Glad I got some practice in before that. I find it to be relaxing and am still always amazed at what you can create and accomplish with a welder.

I envy those of you who are able to weld like that.  Always amazes me to see panels matched up, welded, everything ground down, skim coat of filler, prime, paint, etc.  When you look at that fourth image for example, it doesn't seem like there would ever be a smooth transition between the panels.  This seems the way to go if the rest of the rear quarter is good.  Then you don't need to get into lead work at the roof seam.  My car doesn't need anything to be welded, but I have always considered picking up a welder and just playing around with some scrap pieces.  Haven't done it since shop class in high school 1980-ish and I was no good back then!  Just need to find more time for hobbies- damn work keeps getting in the way.  lol
I envy those who have cars that don't require it......

Back