Ignition Linkage Rod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
Hey guys. I am having a bit of trouble starting my car. When I turn the key the rod that goes down looks like its in a bind somewhere and the key is hard to turn. Its always been a bit hard to turn but now the rod is bowing like its having a hard time pushing down the contact. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks

1972 Mustang with Auto Transmission and 351C.

i've never ran into that problem... but one of the things i'd most likely do is pull steering wheel and spray a lube (wd40) down the hole and see if that helps. and try and squeeze into the floor area and ck the column and spray it that to..

Hey guys. I am having a bit of trouble starting my car. When I turn the key the rod that goes down looks like its in a bind somewhere and the key is hard to turn. Its always been a bit hard to turn but now the rod is bowing like its having a hard time pushing down the contact. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks

1972 Mustang with Auto Transmission and 351C.
Do you mean this rod... if so maybe a bad ignition switch or re-adjust.

tilt steering column6 - kopie.png

ignition switch 3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably is the switch going bad

Disconnect the battery

Remove the two plastic covers on the column to access the switch

You should be able to slide the hook end of the rod out of the switch

Then see if the key moves free

Or the switch moves free , one will be binding up

Thank you guys. I think it is a bad switch as well because it started several years ago and has been getting much worse. Time to change it out. Thanks

Back