Badge on upper ball joint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am going to do some maintenance on the front suspension of my Mach1.

Doing this I found a badge sitting on the upper control arm being fixed with the third bolt of the upper ball joint on passenger side. On driver side there is a similar badge too.

Does anyone have an idea what this badge was for?

May it be possible, that my car still has the upper control arms and upper ball joints it leaves Dearborn in 1972?

Here a picture of the badge.

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
If the ball joints are riveted on they would be original factory if bolted on have been replaced. Never seen a tag before.

They can last quite a long time if you do not turn the steering wheel unless you are moving. If you are sitting still on pavement and turn the wheels it puts many times more force on the steering components and rubber bushings causing them to fail much earlier. Just letting the car move slightly greatly reduces the wear on the components.

David

Seen some that had wear indicators in case you didn't know it's time to fix.

My 73 convert has the tags but I had changed the ball joints a couple of decades ago. Knowing me I probably saved them and reinstalled the tags with the new ball joints; but not sure about that.

'

Back