Replacement Seats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Has anyone replaced the seats in your 71-73 with something a little more comfortable or something to add a little leg/belly room?  I would love to be able to at least slide my seat back another 2-4 inches.  I am a pretty big dude at 6'0" and 300 lbs. and the car just isn't easy to get in and out of.  I feel like a grasshopper, LOL!

I'd like to see some pics and descriptions of some replacement seats in your Stang!

I am running at set of 2011 Volvo seats in black leather from a convertible. Had to do some custom welding for brackets so I could accomplish two goals. Use my existing stick seat tracks and be able to move the seat about 1.5” further back. I’m 6’2” 200+ lbs. very comfy. Will see if I can find a pic. They also have a seatbelt clip built into the headrest.

I hear ya on this request. At age 54 I'm 5'11" and 235, should be below 200, but I discovered at this point I enjoy eating more than looking fit. lol Keep saying this will be the year I drop at least 25... Anyway, with a non-tilt steering wheel and original seats / seat foam (still in nice shape), I am just fitting under that wheel when I get into the '71 Mach 1! Once I'm in place with shoulder and lap belts latched, I almost feel like I'm in a custom-fitted race car. Love those old school ergonomics though- sitting practically on the floor, doors come up high, can't see out of the back window. The Hurst aluminum T-handle is right where I need it though.

I moved my seat pans back also. Made a world of difference for me. Pretty easy to do too. If you can weld its a free upgrade. If you cant weld Barry, bring the car over some afternoon this summer and I can get ya fixed up. Im about an hour and 45 min from Latrobe.

I just fitted a set of "Fastback" seat pedestals in my pony this winter, I installed the wrong "coupe" ones 2 years ago and paid for it!!! Anyway, as to moving the seat pedestals back, the water channels or whatever they are called in the floor are very specific about where the pedestal goes. Not to mention, pre-formed carpet will not fit properly if you move them back. How did you gents get around these issues? I thought about doing it, but I wanted my seat belts to work and for my carpet to lay flat. It is better with the right seat pedestals in, "my head does not hit the roof!!" But with the new seat foam being so firm, it still feels a little stuffy!!

Im replacing my floor pans this year and I will for sure be moving my seat pans back a couple of inches. It would be nice to be able to lower them an inch but I dont know if thats even possible without some custom welding work.

This made me chuckle. I have the opposite problem. At 5' 41/2" and 160lbs, plus being over 70, with a bad hip to boot, I'd like to shorten my steering column 2" so I can get to drive with my arms straighter. I feel like I'm hugging the steering wheel!! I pondered moving the pedals forward 2" when I added the power booster and also modded the clutch pedal, but that's damn near impossible and impractical. On top of that, if I were to ever build a resto-mod, I'd move the door mirrors forward a couple of inches as well, I always fell like these car were designed and built by some 6 footer!! I have to tilt my head just to see into the drivers side mirror. Add to this, I need to run the seat all the way back just so I can get in and out. Sucks getting old and far less flexible............. and I have been fit all my life. Maybe it'll be better after I get the hip replacement......... I hope!!

Geoff.

EDIT: re; moving the pedals forward............ and please, nobody say "add blocks to them like on a kids bicycle" Heard that joke before!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone replaced the seats in your 71-73 with something a little more comfortable or something to add a little leg/belly room?  I would love to be able to at least slide my seat back another 2-4 inches.  I am a pretty big dude at 6'0" and 300 lbs. and the car just isn't easy to get in and out of.  I feel like a grasshopper, LOL!

I'd like to see some pics and descriptions of some replacement seats in your Stang!
   I have a set of BMW E46 seats ready for my Mach 1, obviously I need new fitting points

and there seems plenty of room.

My daily drive is a 2002 BMW M3 E46 so I went with something I already know to be

comfortable and strangely enough, the rear E46 seats will fit nicely with some alterations,

the fold down will also work well.

If I could for see a problem, it would be more a height problem as most of the seats have

motors etc underneath which might apply to a big guy like you.

Good Luck.

Melfunctions

My only gripe with moving my seat platforms back 2" was when I installed the ACC Jute-backed molded carpet - nothing lined up, of course.  A little bit of work with the heat gun and it was all good, though.

Had I thought about it far enough in advance, I would've just picked up some extended seat sliders instead - they add 2" or so to the slides for a bit more leg room.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_extenders_seat_track_custom_made_to-202272-166.html
I saw these also and was wondering if they will work on a 71 - 73? Seems like they should.. its only a seat rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only gripe with moving my seat platforms back 2" was when I installed the ACC Jute-backed molded carpet - nothing lined up, of course.  A little bit of work with the heat gun and it was all good, though.

Had I thought about it far enough in advance, I would've just picked up some extended seat sliders instead - they add 2" or so to the slides for a bit more leg room.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_extenders_seat_track_custom_made_to-202272-166.html
This looks like a simple way to get a couple inches more of leg room!  I just wonder if they will fit the 71-73 seats?

Back