HELP with alternator!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastintx

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
ok i need a little help! i dont even know if this is the problem, i have 73 351c 2v  that i just replaced the trans with AOD it was running fine, i just replace the alternator with a one wire 150 amp. so i removed the voltage regulator and hooked the alt wire directly to the solenoid. my problem is now the car is idling high real high in park, when it wasnt before. is removing the voltage reg having anything to do with that, im confused. does one of the wires need to have power to something? im lost!

ok i need a little help! i dont even know if this is the problem, i have 73 351c 2v  that i just replaced the trans with AOD it was running fine, i just replace the alternator with a one wire 150 amp. so i removed the voltage regulator and hooked the alt wire directly to the solenoid. my problem is now the car is idling high real high in park, when it wasnt before. is removing the voltage reg having anything to do with that, im confused. does one of the wires need to have power to something? im lost!
Toastintx,

What type of alternator ?

Got a wiring diagram for it?

Do you have an electric choke ? lots of folks take voltage for the choke coil from the stator wire that you probably removed from the stock harness.

not that there was one there to begin with, but many have been added that way.

just a guess, you will have to provide as much information as you can if you want help.

Boilermaster

Thanks Boilermaster, the person that had the car before me added a Holley carb with an electric choke, so i will check that. Im putting on a Powermaster alternator

Thanks Boilermaster, the person that had the car before me added a Holley carb with an electric choke, so i will check that. Im  putting on a Powermaster alternator
Toastintx,

How about measuring voltage at the choke cap ?

if zero volts with the car running this is causing choke to not open and staying on fast idle.

On one wire alternators you can use connector for the idle stop solenoid.

would be a safe bet that the holley does not have one on it.

I have one on my holley and have it spliced for the choke cap as well works fine.

Boilermaster

Boilermaster i found the problem, the choke was wired into one of the wires coming from the voltage regulator. i wired it to a fused wire running from solenoid. running fine now! i did mess the idle speed earlier so now i have to adjust it. i think i was running at 750 rpm in park engine warm, does that sound about right

Two problems with running your choke from the solenoid, power will be going to the choke all of the time, running the battery down when the engine is not running, and the choke will not close when the engine is cold, making it hard to start.

The choke needs to be connected to a switched source (power on when engine is running). The stator terminal was probably what the choke was connected to before and that terminal only provides power when the alternator is spinning.

Back