vin number

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielpcorona

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible under restoration
hey there, im restoring a 1972 mustang convertible, and the fender aprons were replaced by the previous owner so there is no VIN number there, is there any other place i can find the VIN number besides the dashboard?

If the engine block is original to the car the matching last six digits of the VIN is stamped on the driver's side of the back of the block below the head/above the block deck. Are you missing the door tag as well?

Ron

If the engine block is original to the car the matching  last six digits of the VIN is stamped on the driver's side of the back of the block below the head/above the block deck. Are you missing the door tag as well?

Ron
yeah I am are missing the door tag as well

hey there, im restoring a 1972 mustang convertible, and the fender aprons were replaced by the previous owner so there is no VIN number there, is there any other place i can find the VIN number besides the dashboard?
You said the inner fender aprons were replaced. Was that front and rear fender aprons on both sides? The vin is stamped in the top lip of the shock towers, between the fender aprons. weRe the shock towers replaced as well?

the Vin on a 302 block is on top near the oil sender and on a 351C its on the back below the head on the drivers side. Also the transmission has the Vin stamped. On a C4 and C6 it is on top near the back. I don't know if it's the same on manual transmissions.

If the engine block is original to the car the matching  last six digits of the VIN is stamped on the driver's side of the back of the block below the head/above the block deck. Are you missing the door tag as well?

Ron
As RackerM said RE: Vin location on the block. I should have asked you if you have a Cleveland,a 302 or a 6. When I had my fenders off years ago my VIN is stamped on top of the shock tower.

As long as you can show Marti that you actually own the car you can get a new door sticker and even Dash tag from him. Door sticker seems like $25.00 but the dash tag is like $500.

You can order the stamps from Argon Tool that produced them for Ford and re stamp the inner fenders if you want you can even get the star stamps for the ends of the number and the holder for the stamps.

When DOT does a vehicle check here they only look at the dash and door but can ask you to remove the fender.

One of our members that lives local to me has a hand stamped VIN tag in the dash that they passed, lol. It does not look anything like the original. They did check fender.

The special rivets for the VIN tag in dash are also available but also very expensive. They have like a flower pedal shape to them.

With a little effort can make a mustang anything you want, lol.

There is a guy local with a Shelby that was certified by the Shelby / Cobra guys and it was made using a coupe body had the inner fender numbers cut from the original welded in and the coupe body hacked up to accept the fastback roof and quarters. Went fro a few thousand dollar coupe to I think he paid over $50,000 for the hacked up Shelby.

David

Ron
As RackerM said RE: Vin location on the block. I should have asked you if you have a Cleveland,a 302 or a 6. When I had my fenders off years ago my VIN is stamped on top of the shock tower.
its a 351 cleveland

As long as you can show Marti that you actually own the car you can get a new door sticker and even Dash tag from him. Door sticker seems like $25.00 but the dash tag is like $500.

You can order the stamps from Argon Tool that produced them for Ford and re stamp the inner fenders if you want you can even get the star stamps for the ends of the number and the holder for the stamps.

When DOT does a vehicle check here they only look at the dash and door but can ask you to remove the fender.

One of our members that lives local to me has a hand stamped VIN tag in the dash that they passed, lol. It does not look anything like the original. They did check fender.

The special rivets for the VIN tag in dash are also available but also very expensive. They have like a flower pedal shape to them.

There is a guy local with a Shelby that was certified by the Shelby / Cobra guys and it was made using a coupe body had the inner fender numbers cut from the original welded in and the coupe body hacked up to accept the fastback roof and quarters. Went fro a few thousand dollar coupe to I think he paid over $50,000 for the hacked up Shelby.

David
I've done the Marty report, and I dont think its completely correct because it said the car had white interior and white roof top, but we have black interior and roof and it look like it hasnt been replace what so ever

David
I've done the Marty report, and I dont think its completely correct because it said the car had white interior and white roof top, but we have black interior and roof and it look like it hasnt been replace what so ever
Changing the interior from white to black is not all that much if you have a donor car. The whole dash, Kick panels, center console, carpet, seat belts, steering column, sun visors are all black on a vert with white interior. That leaves the white seats, door panels and rear interior qtrs to change to black to complete the swap.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a 351 cleveland
The VIN on the engine block is only a partial as well as a partial on the shock towers. Could you get past state registration with the VIN?

Here are a few examples of vins on Cleveland blocks and on the shock tower lip. Notice the block vins can contain just the sderial number or sometimes also have the year and assemble plant code. The examples below, one of the blocks was assembled in Dearborn "F" and the other in Atlanta "A". The dearborn block was likely for a 73 Mustang or Cougar and the Atlanta block was for a 74 Torino or Montego.

Last edited by a moderator:

David
All of your vin's are missing

The Marti says your interior and top are different colors and you say they look untouched

This doesn't look good - before you spend any money on this car you need to be sure it's your car

David
All of your vin's are missing

The Marti says your interior and top are different colors and you say they look untouched

This doesn't look good - before you spend any money on this car you need to be sure it's your car
Agree with OMS and others - do your research and make sure what you have is indeed your car.  And MANY cars have had interiors changed from white to something else.  By about 1978 most white interior cars like ours were looking terrible!  I have cleaned and tried to save quite a few.  Many had to be re-upholstered or swapped out from another car - usually to a different darker color.

Ray

David
Changing the interior from white to black is not all that much if you have a donor car. The whole dash, Kick panels, center console, carpet, seat belts, steering column, sun visors are all black on a vert with white interior. That leaves the white seats, door panels and rear interior qtrs to change to black to complete the swap.
Whoa... thank you for that, rackerm. I know I’ll need to replace the top, currently black (with a black interior) and since I live in the desert, I was thinking of going with white. But then the carpet wouldn’t match the drapes (if you get my drift).

Really, just door panels, sear and rear interior quarter panels? Going to need front seats updated for sure, so..

And also thinking of adding the seat warmers from CJ Pony Parts when I get around to the interior refresh.

Some more thoughts on the VIN#.

Most times people do not change the shock towers just the thinner panel in front and in rear. Have you looked at the shock tower really good. I have attached a picture of one of mine. Stamped on both sides.

Also the Buck Tag that is usually on the L.H. side on the radiator support tucked under the fender behind the head light, also a pic. of that.

The VIN# was also on the owner warranty card if you happened to get that.

The last place you can find it is on the Build Sheet that is found in several different places. Some are found stuffed into the seat bottom. some under the carpet, some in the seat riser and one of mine was under the sound deadening and no hope of getting it off. I has the VIN# and all the components that were bolted on going down the line.

I've had a couple cars that were in accidents and the body shop smeared bondo over the top of the shock tower after replacing the front aprons. You could carefully sand or blast in this area as there should be some sort of stamping there. Also look from underneath, as the factory stamps are quite deep.

Back