71 power windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bondobax

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
I am installing power windows on a 71 Mustang Mach 1 that did not come with power windows I am looking for photos of how the wiring is in the firewall.

My '71 429 CJ-R has them factory-installed, but no power steering, go figure. I can only get gas on the end island. heh If no one else already has these pics ready to post, I'll gladly try to get you a pic. Would this be on the driver's side portion of the firewall, to the far right if looking with the hood opened? Not sure, never had to trace anything with these and they work fine. Passenger side window skips a little going down but hasn't gotten any worse in the three years I have owned the car. Both front windows work very fast. The back windows work but I generally don't use them. The car has no AC so I definitely have the windows down in driving season in eastern PA.

I am thinking a parts book illustration is your best bet.

Each wire harness is unique to each car and does not come with all optional equipment in the harness. If you have power windows the harness is different from crank windows.

If you have an AM/FM and Power Windows the harness going to the door is different and very difficult to locate. There is not much under the hood of the car but the relay that on my Mach 1 is on the underside of the shock tower brace on the drivers side. I have put a picture of the solonoid and wires there on my Mach 1 with PW. Might have something there also.

I have a 72 convertible parts car that has power windows but I have already taken them out. It also had PS, PDB, air, AM/FM so I can show you some pics of that believe they are on this computer.

You will also have to drill the holes in the A post and Door end for the rubber boot to go in if it did not have AM/FM or AM/8 Track before.

When you put everything back together use Lucas Red N Tacky grease on the window guides, rollers and inside the power window drives. Much better than the old white grease. You can get at any parts house or Wal Mart.

If you have any spare parts I am in need of the two rear window switch bases. The PO had cut them off so you could not roll down from the rear. I can get the switches just the bases or the wire running to the rear and the bases. I have some perfect rubber boots to trade if you need them. The harness in the picture is for passenger door with door speaker and P.W.,

If you need some specific pic let me know. I have a horrible cold hope not the flue so might not get back quick.

David

Back