outside side mirror ball joint loose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I have a 73 Mach 1 with outside racing mirrors attached. The one mirror on the passenger side (no remote control) has a very loose ball joint. Even when I adjust the mirror, a few bumps will get it out of alignment. How can I stiffin up the joint to make it tighter? Or does this mean a new mirror? They are expensive for just the mirror piece.

I have a 73 Mach 1 with outside racing mirrors attached. The one mirror on the passenger side (no remote control) has a very loose ball joint. Even when I adjust the mirror, a few bumps will get it out of alignment. How can I stiffin up the joint to make it tighter? Or does this mean a new mirror? They are expensive for just the mirror piece.
Try turning the glass mirror to one side or the other and you should see a phillips screw there. Sometimes you can tightened it.

the screw is tight. However this is the screw where you can take the entire mirror bracket out and access the rear where the ball joint is located. I checked this and can't see any set screw to tighten up the ball joint.

Sounds like the ball stud is worn out, no fix other than repacing the glass assembly or siliconing the mirror into a fixed postion.

I'm not sure on the Mustang mirror ball design, but I seem to recall many years ago fixing a flopping mirror on one of my cars by packing the ball with a small piece of cardboard from a cereal box.

Hello,

I do not know if there are different designs.

I had the same issue with my mirror.

Before buying a new one I thought I will have a closer look behind the mirror glass. Afortuntely the glass broke removing it. But maybe using a heat gun it can be removed in one piece.

Behind the glass I found a triangle shaped part which sould aplly pressure to the ball. One rivet was quite lose. I fixed it with some hits thru a punch.

I bought a cheap mirror and cut a piece more or less in the right shape. I startet to do the final shpe with sand paper. It takes same time, but should be cheaper as a complete new mirror.

Maybe this helps.

Best regards from Mexico

Martin

P.D. I will try to upload pictures. But this is my first post, so do not know if it works

P1010077.JPGP1010077.JPG

P1010076.JPG

Latest posts

Back