Anybody try the Scott Drake repop Vacuum motor for heater / AC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I have my HVAC box out of the car and am going through it.  Figured while I am at it I would replace the vacuum motors (vacuum servos) that move all the doors inside.  Seems like the only choice is an $80 Scott Drake "close enough" repop.  Before I shell out a bunch of cash has anyone tried these?  Any other options out there?

Thanks for your time,

Peter

Have you tested your original motors? A quick check with a vacuum/brake bleeder can tell if they are working, which would avoid spending $80 a pop . The repro you found can replace all but one of the motors, as one of the motors is a two line vacuum motor.

Have you tested your original motors? A quick check with a vacuum/brake bleeder can tell if they are working, which would avoid spending $80 a pop . The repro you found can replace all but one of the motors, as one of the motors is a two line vacuum motor.
The ones I have are functional, but I never intend to have the dash apart this far again.  Figured since they have some sort of flexible bellow inside it might be a good idea to replace them while I have the dash totally out... but at $160 for a pair I will probably not do it and save the problem for future self.

I understand the logic behind replacing them now while things are apart. I did that with the heater and A/C Evaporator cores, even though they were not leaking. I did not want to remove the air box later to replace one of them after putting the dash back together. That said, two of the motors are not hard to get to later should they go. Worst case you might need to remove the glove box cardboard insert. The other two motors are harder to reach since it sits behind the crowded center of the dash.

I'm always tryin' to save a few bucks, while not be penny wise and pound foolish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back