Aaaarrrgghh! UPDATED

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
As much as I love my convex passenger side mirror it is really hard to tell angles and distance when backing up, especially as I back up by looking in the mirrors only. 

Add paying attention to the car that's parked in front while I'm trying to parallel park behind it and this happens. 

The final score is:

Pole: 1

Luxstang: 0

IMG_9962.JPG

Very very very sorry to see this.   Hope everyone is okay.   At least the damage is in the rear...most people will think someone ran into you, as opposed to you running into a fixed immovable object.

I bet "scheisse" was shouted a few times very loudly! That really sucks.

I'm actually surprised you do not have damage at the panel under the light. How is/was your bumper attached to body?

I've replied to one of @WideBody's post, he should consider a rear camera.

Now that I see this... I think i'm gonna add one to mine in a not too far future.

I don't know how far the damage goes as I've yet to take the bumper off.

It looks like the mounting bracket could have suffered and I hope it didn't pass the shock along into the trunk. It doesn't look like there's damage beyond the bumper and maybe the bracket. And to my ego of course but that's why I posted it here. Consider it a way of coming to terms with my stupidity. :)

Although it is weird that I never damage my other cars but I've backed this one into stuff 4 or 5 times at least. Always the passenger side corner.

Each time only the edge of the bumper hit the quarter panel and snapped back into place. I did repaint that quarter corner at least 4 times.

This time it was more to the center of the car but I still count it as passenger side corner to fit in with the picture.

And it's not like I turn into a complete idiot once I put the car in reverse. I can maneuver backwards with a trailer on a car so it's safe to assume I know how to drive both forwards and backwards.

It's only the Mustang that I back into stuff all the time.

Weird!

Mike that sucks - hope it is just the bumper

When you take the bumper off seal up the two holes in the quarter panel - they are for the

1973 bumper bumper filler extensions - have you been getting water in the trunk drop offs ?

Maybe Wolverine can put a bumper in his carry on bag next time he comes to see you

its hard to see the back end of the cars  thinking about a backup camera myself  , anyone installed one lately and how do you like it ?
I bought mine from these guys a few years ago. I got the license plate mount and wireless transmitter/receiver. Transmitter splices into the backup lights and receiver plugs into the lighter. Now that I have the inside of the car removed, replacing seat covers and adding dynamat, I could have hardwired the cable but will probably keep it wireless.

Really nice and handy for backing up and wondering whats behind you!

https://www.tadibrothers.com/catalog/backupcamerakits/35-monitor-with-wireless-120-backup-camera

Mike that sucks - hope it is just the bumper

When you take the bumper off seal up the two holes in the quarter panel - they are for the

1973 bumper bumper filler extensions - have you been getting water in the trunk drop offs ?

Maybe Wolverine can put a bumper in his carry on bag next time he comes to see you
Funny as the car is a 72 and I got it that way. Seems to have been replaced somewhere in the past.

Yes, there is always water in the trunk drop offs but there are holes at the bottom so it can flush. I think it comes in from the top. Non water inside the car though.

This car is gonna need some TLC in the near future. It's been 14 years since it got refurbished and I put alot of use and stress on it in those 14 years. Put 200000 km on it since I got it in 2001. 

That's why I wasn't even mad when this happened. It was more shaking my head and thinking "Not again!" It's not been a show quality car for years and it's getting worse but I kinda like the patina. That's also how the look changed of the car, away from the flashy 18 inch rims, back to hub caps and trim rings. As long as it drives fine it makes me happy. 

Pristine condition means too much stress and worries.

:)

Sorry to see what happened. I know how disgusting it is as I did a similar thing in 1977 with my R code Mach 1. I hope it doesn't take too much too repair. Chuck

Sux  about your car, wouldn't it be easier to back in a tight spot with the top.down?
Not really. Plus even with the top down I still only use the mirrors to maneuver. 

But most of all it was a few degrees below freezing! :)

Back